Router not connecting to WAN

Discussion in 'Networks' started by zr79, Sep 21, 2009.

1. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

Senerio is this

1) Can't connect to internet with wireless router - D-Link Wireless router also with 4 e-net ports.
    Tested with 2 laptops, 1st laptop has no wireless, connects to routers ethernet port, other laptop has wireless and connects wirelessly, both laptops had been working for 2 years on this setup, then stopped working. Nothing on router was changed. Managed to make connetion one time very slowly then seemed to just stop altogether.
    2) Laptop gets an IP 192.168.1.2 etc with ethernet cable connected to e-port on router so hence switch / LAN part of router is working ok.
    3) Go into the router config status section, LAN side is up with IP as said before, WAN is not connected, WAN set to PPPoE, click connect in WAN section - no change.
    4) After briefly looking in the laptops wireless config it the wireless laptop doesn't pickup any wireless connections, maybe after more digging it would but i don't think it will, looked briefly.
    5) Reset router, trie again, no change, still WAN disconnected in config.

6) Maybe i am missing some configs, but pretty much all factory defaults and it doesn't look as though router is getting any signal from WAN / ISP
    7) Checked with ISP and they say packet loss is evident on line at my side(router, filter, cable etc.)after doing a line check.

Have to assume bad router as wireless also doesn't seem to connect right, but seems starnge that the LAN on ethernet cable connects to router ok?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
    Certifications: A+
  2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

hmmm...on the router config page, do you see whether the router has sync'd with the exchange or not (should tell you a downstream and upstream speed if it has)

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

When i said it connected once, that wasn't with me, just what i was told happned a few days ago. bit vague.

When you run the diagnostics on the router config page, the second test(sync ADSL) or something, fails, and hence skips the rest.

Well i must be the either router, the rj11 cable, the filter, or some conflict with say a phone which is also on the filter. I don't think the phone idea would affect it.

I am thinking it's the cable now.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
    Certifications: A+
  4. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

yep i'd i'd test all those.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Make sure you only have the ADSL splitter and router connected and try running the diags again. If it doesnt work perhaps try replacing the ADSL splitter and cable.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs