Route Exam - Practice Questions

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Cunningfox, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone had a good recommendation of a good set of practice questions for ROUTE or CCNP in general?

I had a look at Boson and to be honest it doesn't seem great value compared to the questions generally included on the official book CDs. I've dug out some of the old CCNP version questions but they are probably too old to be a good reference point.

I'm good on study guides and material but just lacking practice questions so I'm reluctant to fork out vast sums as I am somewhat contrained on budget but if something is highly recommended and valuable then there isn't a problem.

Cheers.

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??
  2. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Hello Mr C.Fox

I would fire up some kit and work through as many (ALL) of the examples in the Cisco Press CCNP ROUTE manual, as you do make notes, try and understand how the individual protocols work, make sure you know how redistribution works and where routing protocols redistribute from i.e from the routing table or the database, also you have to understand BGP rule of sync and why it ought to be broken, figure out IPv6 tunneling (Manual and Auto) Set piece questions are great, but for me I will always recommend that you get your hands dirty to make the info stick.

Go through the questions in the Cisco press ROUTE book, make sure you can recite the thing back to front and can congiure any example in that book in a heart beat and any question you don't get right then lab it, don't guess the answer, you must know why the answer is the answer.

So three words LAB, LAB, LAB. The exam is a formality once you know your protocol and there won't be a question you will not be able to answer with at least 200 hours of lab time under your belt for the ROUTE.

Best of luck

Joe

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  3. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

Cheers Joe and off topic happy birthday,

I have been labbing a lot still got lots to do though, BGP is going to take longer though due to having to use real kit (no bad thing tbh) over a popular sim system, that I don't think I can mention, as it doesn't work properly. I tend to use question sets towards the end to highlight any weak areas or things I might have missed. If I use old (pre Route/Switch setup) question sets then it will highlight things I don't need to know.

I can Lab as much as I want but no exam is a formality, even if you know your stuff. I remember an instructor once saying that he almost failed a CCNA exam, I don't remember the reason something about the lab though I think.

4. cisco lab rat

Thanks for the Birthday greetings.

LOL, I take it you are one of mine then!!

You are better off using the real kit for BGP rather than any sim popular or otherwise ;-)

I can't recommend any question set other than what comes in the manuals, I hardly ever use set piece questions and prefer to just lab it to understand it and read the manual or research the topic on cisco's website.

Actually what I do is go to Smith's and buy a few pack of the index cards and make my own Q&A's, the best things ever, for a couple of quid you have your own massive collection of Q&A's, I think I still have mine from my first CCNA examover 10 years ago.

With BGP just e-mail me your questions, it's a simple enough protocol.

Yeap I almost flunked the CCNA in June. You are right I did mess up a Lab simulation on the exam, I quite enjoy telling people this story, so that everyone knows that I am human!! but (And I won't disclose the actual details of the question NDA and all) it was a problem with the sim, that quite a few people have also had!!!. In case anyone is wondering I take the CCNA exam so I can keep up to date and feel the fear that my students feel.

5. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

When i did my CCNA in June, i got a PC, that must have had some process eating up 100% CPU or something, as when doing the sims, typing any command, the output appeared EXTREMELY slowly like i was connected to a router over a 56k VSAT connection or something! Made me rush through the exam as it was wasting so much time! Eventually ended finishing with plenty time spare as i rushed all questions as i though the wasted time on the sims was gonna make me not able to complete the exam. Thankfully i did and all was well with the world again :)

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  6. cisco lab rat

The P.C was fine, I had two problems with the sim, the one that I can tell you about was any time I ran a show command the output was broken up and all over the screen, it seemed like it was chucking out rubbish, none of the commands that I typed in seemed to work and let me tell you that the sim was on a subject that I can do in my sleep, I almost picked the monitor up to throw it out of the window, after 25 mins of trying everything I just gave up as I had only 30 mins left and another 25 odd questions to go so I raced through the exam with about 5 mins to go.

A week later I almost aced the CCNP ROUTE, so I was a happy puppy with that result. lots of working sims on that one.

7. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

Busted I guess :twisted:, was in your last Route course and next Switch. Actually reading here 2 years ago sent me on your CCNA as well 8).

I've watched a lot of vids and been following the Route lab manual so far and augmenting that with random configurations and a few what-ifs and some of the lab setups from CBT. Nothing like breaking a nice working lab and then fixing it to do something slightly different. Hopefully that along with a good read of the book and some note taking along the way should be enough. While not being at 200 hours worth of labbing yet, I'm clear of 200 hours total work (I think) and will be something like 200 worth of labs as well by the time I'm about to take.

I normally use sample exams and such to highlight my weak points as the theory is harder than the practicality, I find anyway. I also find them useful for practising not doing stupid things (read the question damnit ;)). When I did my CCNA I didn't pass a single practice exam until the night before the real exam. It really helped as I then flew through the exam nps. The book has about 100 questions via Boson, so that should be good for 2 attempts and I've managed to obtain some written questions as well for another couple of attempts so that should put me in good stead. There are probably some free trials I can grab as well and that should do it.

I half expected someone to come down and say check out company xxx they've some awesum content, and they may yet, but I think I've now got enough to see me through. If not I'll check a few links out from certguard.