Robin's Laws

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Mar 5, 2007.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

The idea to do this popped into my head this morning so I thought I'd go for it.

In 1991, an episode of Star Trek the Next Generation called The Game made its debut. One of the guest stars was Ashley Judd in the role of Ensign Robin Lefler. She ends up as Wesley Crusher's love interest in the episode and helps him defeat a plot to enslave the minds of the Enterprise crew.

However, her most interesting quality (outside of the fact that she's beautiful) is that she made up a set of rules called Robin's laws. Everytime she learned something important, she made a law so she wouldn't forget it. Here are the laws that were revealed in the above-mentioned episode:

1: You can only count on yourself.
    17: When all else fails, do it yourself.
    36: You gotta go with what works.
    46: Life isn't always fair.
    91: Always watch your back.
    103: A couple of light years can't keep good friends apart.

Law 103 was actually suggested by Wesley as he was leaving the Enterprise to return to Star Fleet Academy. If we assume that there are only 103 laws and the only ones firmly established are the laws seen in this post, then there are a lot of them missing. How about we try to fill in the blanks and make up our own.

Robin established law 1 when she was very young. Both her parents were in Star Fleet and they apparently didn't spend a lot of time with her, leading her to establish law 1. From this, we can assume that the lower numbered laws are pretty basic and the higher number laws would represent what she learned as she got older. Given the Judd's date of birth and when the episode was originally aired, that would have put her around age 23.

Here's my first contribution:

Law 90: A group is only as smart as its dumbest member.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I thought they were Lefler's Laws...

According to the fan-based Star Trek Hidden Frontier, there are 260 laws, including:

1. You can only count on yourself. (TNG "The Game")
    7. Never reveal more than you have to. (HF "Voyage of the Defiant")
    12. Give credit where credit is due. (HF103, "Enemy Unknown, Part 3")
    17. When all else fails, do it youself. (TNG "The Game")
    22. Never date a co-worker. (HF102, "Enemy Unknown, Part 2")
    23. Never look back. The obstacles are all ahead. (HF "Enemy Unknown, Part 3")
    29. Always make time for friends. (HF103, "Enemy Unknown, Part 3")
    36. You gotta go with what works. (TNG "The Game")
    43. Never underestimate the power of teamwork. (HF "Echoes")
    46. Life isn't always fair. (TNG "The Game")
    56. A little elbow grease never hurt anyone. (HF "Echoes")
    65. Never second-guess your own work. (HF "Echoes")
    91. Always watch your back. (TNG "The Game")
    97. It always pays to think ahead. (HF103, "Enemy Unknown, Part 3")
    98. Anything can happen. (HF103, "Enemy Unknown, Part 3")
    103. A couple of light years can't keep good friends apart. (TNG "The Game")
    123. If it works perfectly, someone will re-design it. (HF102, "Enemy Unknown, Part 2")

Every time I try to come up with a Lefler Law, I find it in the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition. :D

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Since the game "Hidden Frontier" is "fan-based", I decided to not accept those laws as "official" so I'm sticking with the ones from the original episode. I suppose I should cross reference them against the Rules of Acquisition to make sure there aren't any duplicates. :wink:

EDIT: I'm providing a link to the official Rules of Acquisiton for clarity's sake. However, the purpose of Robin's Laws are to provide her with a sort of structure that helps her manage life in general or certain situations. By contrast, the Rules of Acquisition are part of the Ferengi code or legal structure (if "legal" can be used in this context) defining Ferengi business practices. Let's stick with the basic premise of Robin's Laws and leave the "Rules of Greed" to the Ferengi.

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Law 2: A good friend will always be a good friend.

Law 60: Keeping acquaintances, is akin to plate spinning.

I know, i am not good at this :wink:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

It just occured to me how to make this easier. Take a look at the important lessons you learned in life, painful or happy and make up one or more laws about them.

6. clearasmud

clearasmud New Member

52. Never assume.
    9. Think before you speak.

7. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Wow, a necropost on a thread that's just over 8 years old, that has to be a record

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I can probably drag this out for a few years yet mate.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
    JK2447 likes this.
  9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

It was just a way for Jim to bump his post count this month ;)

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  10. voltron

voltron New Member

Does anybody have a list of all the laws in order? 1-123...