1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RJ45 Plugs + Crimping Tools

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr.Cheeks, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Does anyone know where i can buy a decent crimping tool and rj45plugs aswell? I know Maplins does both here and here, but i want around 50 plugs, and the plugs seems to be pricey :rolleyes: ...

I have to go through the trial and error process of wiring up CAT 5 cable!

I am more concerned about the plugs than anything else.

Thanks

2. Mr.Cheeks

geez - never realised amazon done them!

Thanks for your help!

3. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

your welcome

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST and finding a job!
  4. AJ

AJ Administrator Administrator

Don't forget a decent pair of wire snippers, cable tester, cable tonor (a great idea if you haven't put the cables in yourself), screwdrivers and a good punch tool.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Looking at doing ..................
  5. Mr.Cheeks

whats a cable tonor?

6. AJ

AJ Administrator Administrator

One of THESE

Attatch the "box" end to a pair of wires and then use the "wand" to trace/find the other end of the cable. This has to be the most useful piece of test kit I have. You can't guess the amount of time I have saved tracing wires with this :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Looking at doing ..................
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

True, if you are going to get involved in cabling it is a must have - i have used one for the past 8 years.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

Yeah I got my crimp tool, RJ45 connectors and a shed load of patch cable from amazon.

Kraven

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  10. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Mr. Cheeks,

The tools you will need are:
    1. An RJ-45 connector crimper
    2. A network cable/channel tester that can certify Category 5, Category 5e, or Category 6 depending on the cable/channel you are testing.

The materials you will need are:
    1. For Category 5
      • Certified Category 5 cabling.
      • RJ-45 connectors certified for Category 5 that are tuned for the Category 5 cabling.
    2. For Category 5e
      • Certified Category 5e cabling.
      • RJ-45 connectors certified for Category 5e that are tuned for the Category 5e cabling.
    3. For Category 6
      • Certified Category 6 cabling.
      • RJ-45 connectors certified for Category 6 that are tuned for the Category 6 cabling.

Rules:
    • Do not purchase any cabling and RJ-45 connectors that you cannot cerifiably cable/channel test with your cable/channel tester.
      • Reasons:
        • If you cannot certify the cable/channel and you get performance less than expected, it's because it failed 1 or more of the certification tests for: 1) Cat 5 2) Cat 5e 3) Cat 6.
        • Cat 5 has 4 tests it must pass to be certified.
        • Cat 5e has 6 tests it must pass to be certified.
        • Cat 6 has 12 tests it must pass to be certified.
    • Do not mismatch the category rating between the cable and connector.
      • Reason: On the "Category 6 Cabling Overview, FAQs and Whitepapers" webpage, it states:
        • Q: If we use a Cat 5e RJ45 connector and connect it to a Cat 6 UTP cable, will the installation be Cat5e or Cat 6?
        • A: By definition (of the standard), it will be a Cat 5e channel. The actual performance will probably be somewhat better, but nowhere near Cat 6 requirements. Of course, you can set up a channel using any components and measure it using a Cat 6 (level III) compliant tester, and if it passes, it is Cat 6 performance compliant. It would not be standards compliant however, because the components have requirements in and of themselves to assure interoperability with other Cat 6 components.
    • Do not purchase cabling and RJ-45 connectors that are not part of a tuned pair.
      • Reasons:
        • From the "Category 6 Cabling, Overview, FAQs and Whitepapers" webpage:
          • Q: What is a "tuned" system between cable and hardware? Is this really needed if product meets the standard?
          • A: The word "tuned" has been used by several manufacturers to describe products that deliver headroom to the Category 6 standard. This is outside the scope of the Category 6 standard. The component requirements of the standard have been carefully designed and analyzed to assure channel compliance and electrical/mechanical interoperability.
        • A Cat 5 RJ-45 connector + Cat 5 UTP cable + Cat 5 RJ-45 connector may NOT equal a Cat 5 cable (due to abovementioned 4 tests it needs to pass to be a certified Cat 5 cable).
        • A Cat 5e RJ-45 connector + Cat 5e UTP cable + Cat 5e RJ-45 connector may NOT equal a Cat 5e cable (due to the abovementioned 6 tests it needs to pass to be a certified Cat 5e cable).
        • A Cat 6 RJ-45 connector + Cat 6 UTP cable + Cat 6 RJ-45 connector may NOT equal a Cat 6 cable (due to the abovementioned 12 tests it needs to pass to be a certified Cat 6 cable).
    • Do not use uncertified cabling/channel in a production environment without using a cable/channel that certifies category tests.
      • Reason: If you have a Gigabit switch connected to the patch panel with a certified Cat 5e patch cable, an unknown ethernet channel between the patch panel behind the walls to the wall outlet, and a certified Cat 5e patch cable connecting the wall outlet to the computer/server, the unknown ethernet channel may be the bottleneck for the expected Gigabit ethernet performance due to possible older cabling (like forgotten Cat 3 cabling), uncertified cabling category (like a Cat 5e channel that only meets Cat 5 standards), or any other reason.

Source:
    1. Category 6 Cabling Overview, FAQs and Whitepapers - http://www.tiaonline.org/standards/technology/cat6/faq.cfm
    2. DTX Series: Category 5e Field Test Specification - (Under the "Category 5e Field Test Specification section, in the sentence "This document is available for download in Microsoft Word.", click _download_) http://www.flukenetworks.com/fnet/e...ries/Category_5e_Field_Test_Specification.htm
    3. DTX Series: Category 6 Field Test Specification - (Under the "Category 6 Field Test Specification section, in the sentence "This document is available for download in Microsoft Word.", click _download_) http://www.flukenetworks.com/fnet/e...eries/Category_6_Field_Test_Specification.htm

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  11. Mr.Cheeks

blimey, never realised the list was that big - thanks.

12. Crito

Crito Banned

FWIW, I use an Ideal CrimpMaster and swear by it.
    http://www.mytoolstore.com/ideal/ide08-11.html

EDIT: I really have no idea whether that's a good place to buy it or not though -- I've had mine for ten years. Was just at top of my AltaVista search results.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  13. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

maplin do have a cable tracker and tone generator here
    h::p://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ITAG=SPEC&ModuleNo=46536&doy=12m4#spec