Rising Fuel Prices - It might just work!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Lee, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Lee

Lee Nibble Poster

See what you think and pass it on if you agree with it.

We are hitting 98p a litre in some areas now, soon we will be faced
    with paying £1 a ltr.

Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy petrol on a certain day campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them, BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join in!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the market place not sellers.
    With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action.

The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their petrol!
    And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.

Here's the idea: For the rest of this year DON'T purchase
    ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP.

If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce
    their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to
    follow suit. But to have an impact we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers.

It's really simple to do!!

Now, don't wimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll
    explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!
    I am sending this note to a lot of people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers!
    If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it...THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!
    Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all.(and not buy at ESSO/BP)

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out
    to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8days!!! Acting together we can make a difference If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 69PENCE A LITRE RANGE.

It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell, Asda,Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons Jet etc. i.e. boycott BP and Esso.

Certifications: A+ C Programming
    WIP: Network+
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL another one to add to the list of chain mails I block every day at work then find staring me in the face when i visit my favourite forum :biggrin

Seriously - this will make NO difference whatsoever to the price of fuel. None. Even if everyone in the country decided to follow the advice. The oil industry is far more important to the global economny than people realise - nothing will ever be allowed to jeopardise the profits of the major oil producers, so even if everyone DID buy from Sainsburys and Morrisons and whever else the 'campaign' exhorts them to and by some miracle Esso and BP DID go out of business as a result, or put their prices down to the frankly ludicrous 69p a litre that the email suggests, the oil lobby would simply force Sainsburys or Morrisons (or whoever 'benefitted' from it) to put their prices up to compensate.

Whilst the heart of the campaign is in the right place, like so many other initiatives, it hasn't been thought through properly.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Not forgetting that most of the cost of fuel is made up from government taxes, like VAT and duty.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Fuel prices in the UK will always be comparatively high because of the taxes and duty involved.

The price fluctuates these days between 87p and £1 a litre. This fluctuation is driven by demand. The price remained *comparatively* low during the winter because it was mild; there was less of a demand for fuel then there usually is at that time of year. This lack of demand drove down the price as the oil companies seeked to increase sales.

Because 'summer' at the moment is a bit of a joke, I would probably say that demand for oil is higher than it usually would be at this time of year. Hence, the price for fuel has crept back up again.

So, generally, you have 4 options.

1. Use public transport.

2. Get a pushbike.

3. Use alternative transport - hybrid cars, biofuel, autogas, however you want to put it.

4. Wait for the oil price to go back down again. Because it will.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Lee et al.,

I came across this website called "GasSavers.org" where they have various methods of achieving higher and higher fuel efficiency for your car. For example me and my car went from before Gassavers of 18.56 miles per gallon which translates to approximately 7.84 km per L to a high of 28.32 miles per gallon which translates to approximately 11.97 km per L. My current average is 22.87 mpg or 10.2L/100km.

Ironically, economically speaking, the petroleum industry calculates "economic demand" based on how much we as consumers buy their product. Due to activities that makes vehicle use mandatory like your job, there's going to be a practical limit of how low you can reduce your overall gasoline/petrol useage to try to influence the petroleum industry. One effective method of "fighting" the petroleum industry is for you to drive more fuel efficiently so that the FREQUENCY that you pay the petroleum companies goes down which would have a relatively stronger impact on economic demand which should bring prices down for competition reasons.

Link:
    1. Gassavers = http://www.gassavers.org

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  7. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

stop moaning and go buy a hybrid or better still use your legs thats what they where made for

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  8. Sparky

Hmm, 10 mile walk to work? No thanks! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  9. Arroryn

Tell your work to sort this out then :biggrin

10. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

ok, i was asking for that one :D , but if it was upto me you guy's would be paying more for petrol

11. Sparky

We pay more than enough for the petrol mate. Need to be better public transport options for peeps to change IMO.

12. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I use public transport every day along with thousand of other people, whats makes us diffrent from you guys with cars

13. Sparky

Depends where you work and if there is suitable public transport to get you there.

If all of us car peeps bailed out and jumped on the buses then there would be chaos. Not all bad that some peeps use cars. 8)

14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I don't have public transport to my work, 40 miles distant.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I would love to ride a bike to work, but its too far and would take me too long. Luckily here the gas prices aren't that bad, they've been worse before though.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  16. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Also the bus companies are axing non profitable routes so some people are stranded miles away from their nearest bus stop.

Have you seen some of the train ticket prices lately? Far cheaper to fill up your car and drive to your destination.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  17. Arroryn

Public transport in the UK is very much a location lottery. I live in a village, and rely on a subsidised bus route that runs once every hour.

I get the bus to the station, and then the train in to Brum. Luckily, my work is 5 or so minutes away from New Street station. Transport costs me around £25 per week. Compared to filling a car and driving the 50 mile round trip 5 times a week, plus car tax and insurance broken down for the week - it's much more cheaper to use public transport.

18. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Good for you, sounds like u have a bias view on the issue. I work 75 miles away from home and plenty of people do the same thing, there is no way I could use the inadequate public transport.....it would take all day to get there AND would cost me a fortune.

If the goverment wants to encourage us to use public transport, they should make it a more viable option.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  19. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Not aimed at zeb for writing this but where do people think the fuel for Sainsbury, Morrisons, Tesco, Asda come from?? I haven't seen Sainsbury's oil rig in the middle of the North Sea, or a Tesco refinery plant. Even if we bouycotted the Esso's and BP's of the world, they make the petrol/diesel that they sell on anyway..... they'll still get their money!

For me it's a simple justification - don't like it, don't buy it. We do about 12k a year mostly local mileage, public transport is possible as we're on the outskirts of London but its the convenience of using a car - if I really hated paying 93p a litre (thats the cheapest around here < http://www.petrolprices.com/ > ) then I would find alternative methods - I'm OK paying the price for it and shall continue until it reaches a point I'm not happy with it.

And for driving to work - again, its the same principle - I like to work in London therefore I pay for the it by increased rental prices - if I lived 50 miles away, my rent would be 25% less if not more but I would have the petrol cost of driving to the nearest train/tube station each day - you's pays your money, you's take your choice.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  20. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Arroryn,

there is a 5th option:

5) Get a job that pays a good salary with company car and fuel allowance/fuel card!

All,

I decided to go with option 5! Yes I get taxed &#163;42 a month for the new Astra I've been given but fuel is no longer a worry as just about all my mileage is business - so I don't get taxed for that!

As a result I have more spare cash to drive around my 3.0Litre V6 Mondeo ST220 (weekend car)...great fuel consumption on that! Hybrids?? I shite 'em!!!

So there you have it - get a job that pays well with good benefits i.e. a car!

As for the fuel prices argument - there isn't any point going after the oil companies; it's the govt that has whacked loads of excise duties on the stuff! And don't forget that it was the Tories that introduced the fuel escalator back in 1994...Labour just continued with it!

As for public transport - no fricken way would I go back to that shite again! I contracted in Birmingham for ITNET for 6 months and this required me to get the train. Getting to work from Worcester wasn't a problem - it was getting back home that was an issue! Can you imagine finishing work at 4pm and not getting in till 8pm???? Yep that's what it was like! Terrible! Never again!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...