1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

whos got a ton of RIS experiance here?

im using it as part of my VM Lab deployment, and have a few features im SURE used to be present, that i cant get to bloody work :)

1) incorporating unattended installation details into the RIS package so that I dont need to keep adding Cd keys and owner info etc,

2) having it add to the AD in a more appropriate manner than the computer name being the username i used at the start of the remote installation

ie, administrator1 administrator2
    i have to drop them from the domain, rename them, and rejoin them it seems to fix the prob :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

This is something I really really want to put itno practise.
    I know it's been said that nobody actually uses this in the real world (I don't believe that anyway) but it's an important part of some of the MCSE exams, therefore should not:!: be overlooked.

I was so glad when VM was updated, and I read that the NIC's were PXE enabled :D
    Wahey we can put RIS into practice :p

Once I have VM up again when I get a new machine/fix my laptop, I'll be putting RIS into practice for sure.

3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

man who said RIS is never used in the real world?
    i mean, some folks opt for something fancier like Ghost or Deploy Center

but RIS is an amazing tool thats included FREE with windows, and its used all over the place :)

4. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

It's just the impression I've gotten.People tend to go on about Ghost because it's easier to use.Some have even seemed to put down RIS.
    I've not seen tons of discussions on RIS, so it'll be good to implement it and understand it better.

5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

hmm as far as i remember ghost isn't perticularly easy to use, hence my preference for DeployCenter :)

ghosts power lies in features such as ghostscript and the like, which adds a whole new level of complication to it

but i see your point :)
    I happen to think RIS is great for the price :)
    once done right, ive just got it in its basic setup at the moment, and its not that advanced in this state, but once i get round to syspreping it all up it should be much better

6. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

My outfit run about 300 servers and well over 1000 PC's we NEVER run RIS.

7. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Why not?

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...