RIS Server?!

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by j_holz, Mar 8, 2007.

1. j_holz

j_holz Bit Poster

Hi.. i was wondering if anybody could let me know just how much RIS server tech knowledge I need for the MCDST tests.. I've just been ploughing through the Exam Cram book which talks on this topic pretty extensively...

Im wondering if its worth trying to set up Server 2003 for 30 days on my secondary puter (or a virtual puter) and going through some of the motions... or is it good enough just to memorise some of the basics.. ie Workstation must have PXE ROM chip, user must press F12 during boot process etc..

Thing is Im worried about wasting many hours of precious study time fiddling about with windows server and not really getting anywhere!

Certifications: BTEC ND for IT Technicians
    WIP: MCDST
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I don't remember any RIS questions on the 271 or 270 for that matter.

This doesn't mean you won't if they are on the objectives but anytime you do spend on RIS will benefit you later on in your career path.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I think that so long as you know the theory behind RIS and what it does you should be ok.

As boyce says though, regardless of the test any time that you spend on things like this can olny be to your advantage.

8)

4. steve_f

steve_f Byte Poster

Make sure you know that on a network boot (F12) the computer will look for a DHCP server first, not an RIS server.

The DHCP server will then give your computer the IP address of the RIS server.

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA 2003+Messaging, MCITP:SA, MCSA 2008, ITIL v3 Foundation, Comptia Server+ 2009, CCA Xenapp 6.5, VCP5-DV
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA, CCSA
  5. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I never got asked anything about RIS server on the MCDST exams

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

You dont and should actually get asked about RIS in MCDST because RIS is considered parter of a larger network which according to MS a MCDST wont be dealing with - thats the way i see it. But there is no harm in learning it especially if you going to do 270 sometime soon.

I have done a few labs on it Click here for the link to the videos..

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. C4sper

C4sper Byte Poster

I don't recall any RIS questions on my DST exams.
    only RIS related questions may be about PXE enabled cards AFIK

Certifications: ECDL, A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA