RIS questions

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by datarunner, Jul 9, 2008.

1. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

hi all

just looking for some answers here

can a PC be imaged with all apps, data, drivers etc and then deployed / redployed using RIS

and what are the pros / cons of using RIS against other disk imaging software

info appreciated

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 210, 270, HNC Networking
    WIP: MCSA
  2. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Normally RIS is used for the OS only, but with the answerfile you should be able to start other installations as well. In the original form there were two different ways to install: RIS and SYSPREP. With RIS you install the OS from the original CD copied on a central server. Doing so the installation is hardware independent; you basically end up with a clean install over the network.
    SYSPREP is a different story. Here you install a computer exactely as you want it to be, with all programs and files in place. Then you remove the machine specific settings (as computername and such) and take a snapshot of the result. These images can then be spread over other machines. Because these images are based on a specific machine setup, the hardware should be close to the original machine to get things to work.
    The images can be created using any imaging software product you could find. Ghost is fine, Altiris is fine, but winimage is the one mentioned in the microsoft books. I guess they just named one to give you a start.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  3. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

What about RIPrep Tinus ? From what i've read you can use RIPrep to replicate ghostlike images to the RIS server for use on clients.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  4. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP