RIPLinux: Recovery Is Possible

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by ffreeloader, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes Freddy, I downloaded the image with X in the name, thinking that that would be the one with the Xwindows GUI and it is. I also had already found the right click trick but the file manager program 'Midnight Commander' shows only the Linux files and directory structure - /bin /usr /dev etc.

The question is from there, what do I have to do in order to browse my C: drive with my beloved windows files? There is no obvious way of switching from the CD to the HDD :blink

Seriously though, I would like to be able to gain access to the windows file system for potential data recovery purposes should I need to in the future. If I can do that, I will be impressed.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

That is one hell of a tool Freddy, once I've worked out what everything does.

On a test machine, deleted a partition, then expanded the system partition to take up the unused space. Job took less than 30 seconds. Rebooted and after windows did a little checkdisk booted with no problems.

Now all I've got to do is work out what the rest of it does.

Thanks Freddy :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Open up the XTerm window and type "man ntfsmount". That command will give you the manual page for the program RIPLinux uses for mounting NTFS filesystems.

What's really cool here is that ntfsmount will also read and write to all named data streams, what Windows called alternate data streams. This tool just keeps getting better the more I use it as I hadn't looked into what he was using to mount NTFS partitions as much of the work can be done without mounting a partition.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. ffreeloader

You're welcome. This is indeed powerful and it will take a while for both of us to figure out what all it is capable of doing. Finding out that it will read and write to ADS was a big surprise, a good one too as hackers are more and more using ADS to hide files from Windows users.

The more learn about this tool the better I like it.

5. ffreeloader

One more great ability I just found is the ability to undelete deleted files on NTFS partitions..... For more info run "man ntfsprogs" from the Xterm and then after you read how many NTFS tools are built in type "q" to return to the Xterm prompt and type "man tool_you_want_to_learn_more_about".

These are all command line tools, but they are also extremely powerful too.

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Thanks Freddy, I will have another bash at it today :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)