Rip Off Britain

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by laup, Mar 8, 2007.

1. laup

laup Byte Poster

Ok now why when its basicly $2USD to the GBP does a cisco exam still cost 100 quid when our american counter parts get the same thing for $120/£60
    which equate to bloody a good 40% difference for the same thing.
    And well we are all connected to the same internet to take the fookin things.
    arrrrrh grrrr pisses me off lol

Certifications: IC3,A+, N+, 70-270, CCNA
    WIP: CCDA/Job :>
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

You should see what 'developing' countries pay to do theirs mate.

Hence the popularity of bootcamps in India. What you save on the exams for an MCSE pretty much pays for the flight...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I'm very annoyed about that too.

It's if you live in the US or a developing country you get the best deals. Not only do we have to put up with the $1 equals £1 but on top of that we have the priviledge of paying taxes on that too, all I can say it that I'm glad that there are sites like getcetifiedforless.com out there (at least they reduce the price a little).

And it's not just limited to exam vouchers, it includes petrol also :evil: "all-time high" petrol prices in the US: 1 gallon (3.8 litres) of regular petrol is now $1.68 (£1.17), that a little more than what we pay per litre!

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Britain is becoming less attractive every year as far as I am concerned. Pete had the right idea. :)

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Agreed that Britian do rip us off in most areas, but just a thought, are our wages higher in comparison to these cheaper countries?

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I think you have to compare a salary with the cost of living.

An old school friend has moved to France.
    Apparently, he pays about £250 per year for what we would call council tax. This also includes some other things like a television licence!
    Although he doesn't earn the same salary that he was earning in the UK, he has a better home, higher standard of living, works less hours and can save more money.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Exam prices have not changed for 9 odd years, i dont see what your all complaining about, everything else has gone up in price, exams are relativley cheap now, the study guides cost more than the exams lol

Also I never paid VAT for an exam until I did a VUE one, something fishy there methinks! lol

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

I read an article recently which claimed that the amount we pay in taxes (both direct and indirect) in this country comes to more than 60% of our earnings. After that I stopped wondering why I wasn't saving anything.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  9. laup

laup Byte Poster

Im just pissed off at the fact of it seems where prices are concerned its basicly $1usd to the pound where alot of computer stuff is concerned.

Certifications: IC3,A+, N+, 70-270, CCNA
    WIP: CCDA/Job :>
  10. Kitkatninja

You mean apart from exams...

Microsoft Vista Ultimate:
    US: $378.99 (after exchange: £196.53)
    UK: £313.98

Apple Mac-mini:
    US: $599 (after exchange: £310.63)
    UK: £399

Xbox 360 Core:
    US: $299.99 (after exchange: £155.61)
    UK: £199.99

Halo 3 for the 360:
    US: $59.99 (after exchange: £31.11)
    UK: £49.99

Oh well...

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Lets bear in mind that the cost of living in the US and the average wage is on par with the £ for $ phenomanon
    just because we can take a bucket load of cash over there and come back with twice as much, doesnt mean they can do the same

a job paying 20k here may well only pay 25k USD. not the 40k USD you might expect

12. Kitkatninja

Forget about this country and abroad, just look at the different wages say from London vs midlands vs further north for the same job :)

-ken

13. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Well london is the 4th most expensive city on earth
    way ahead of any US city

14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Where are you getting those petrol prices from? I paid $2.35/gal just the other day. National average is currently $2.50/gal: link

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. aw69

aw69 Byte Poster

I have ordered A+ all - in- one 6th ed from the USA costing $43.77 [£22.68] saving aprox £12.00 :D

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+ Network+
  16. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Try Wales.

We're not listed as a developing nation, because we're going in the wrong direction.

Vista Ultimate here costs £29.95 and can usually be found in the bargin bin at Morrisons because it has been sent to them and they don't know what it is.

On the downside, we consider £10,000 to be a fantastic management salary.

We don't visit England much, because the £5.00 toll to cross the Severn bridge is a month's salary.

Not me of course, because I work in IT.

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  17. Kitkatninja

I believe it was the BBC website end of last year (Nov), sorry 3 months out of date.

-ken

18. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

At one point last year, we were up to almost $3/gal, average (much worse in larger cities). Granted, that's still far less than you're paying.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  19. Kitkatninja

That's about £1.55 per gallon, we were paying up to £1.01 per litre in some places (sometimes even more in rural areas).

But that is life...

-Ken

20. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

most of what we pay for fuel is made up with government tax, if that was removed we would only be paying something like 30p/litre

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009