Richard Branstons island...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by delorean, Oct 17, 2008.

1. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

We all know Richard Branstons owns 'Necker Island', question is though if Mr. Branstons owns his own private island, does that give him the right to make his own passport, laws etc for it that are separate to the rest of the world?

Or does his island fall under the laws governing the waters of that particular area of the world? Same goes for other rich monacle and top hat wearing private island owners.

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

That's generally the idea. He could of course secede himself from the governing body and therefore create his own country. The problem with this is then he would have to implement his own laws and legal system (he could aslo take them over from the former governing body) and he also would need agreements regarding immigration and international travel etc.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. jiggy

jiggy Nibble Poster

meh....I prefer my cramped, noisy, damp 1 bedroom flat in central London.....I dont even like islands....:cry:

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: ABC's
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hmmm Branston Pickle :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Haha I was thinking exactly the same thing :p

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  6. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

It would be cool if he made pickle I guess, but obviously he'd probably call it bransons instead which, I think, is the point you were both making :lol:

WIP: A+
  7. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Is that what was done with Sealand? I believe they have Sealand passports too, but from what I read recently Sealand is not officially recognized as a country or something along those lines.

The bottom line is though, whoever he bought the island from, or rather, whatever country govern's those waters is the law Mr. Pickle has to abide by?

p.s: I agree, he should bring out his own line of savoury pickled sandwich spread.

8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

lol :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. postman

postman Byte Poster

WIP: A+
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

2008 prices start at $23,500 per couple, per week :blink

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

A bunch of us were looking at renting the place for christmas. They cater for large groups and at a point we had about 25 people interested in the idea. When you break the cost down between that many people it actually works out a little more affordable for one of those 'once in a lifetime' things.

This was planned when I lived in Canada though. Now I live on an island the size of a peanut there's really little drive to want to go visit Necker Island as much any more.