Rhyming Slang

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Aug 15, 2005.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

This got started in another thread but my dearest TNT also mentioned it to me. We were watching the remake of "Oceans Eleven" and one of the British characters was using rhyming slang. We were both wondering about it and how anyone would be able to figure out if a person said "Barney Rubble" it meant that they were in "trouble"? :blink

Let the lessons begin. :tongue

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Sky Diver - a five pound note.

Ruby Murray (generally just a Ruby) - a curry

Britney Spears - a collection of fine ales.

Gas Cooker - like pool, ball game played on green baize (sp ?) 15 reds, and 6 colours to be potted in sequence.

Just a few to start with. A few I best not mention are Gladys Night, Lillian Gish, and Ravi Shankar :oops:

EDIT: Trouble is actually "soapy bubble", Trip.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

You mean snooker?

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Trip the strange thing is that people use the words without even thinking that they are rhyming slang. Quite often just half the phrase as Jak pointed out with ruby.

This might help, it's not all rhyming slang but it is fairly comprehensive and accurate. So get yourself a bevvy and have a butchers :biggrin

here

Pete

PS the word Barney is used for having an argument, as in, those tramps in Peckham Rye were having a right barney. But I think that usage has evolved over time.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I guess he does Freddy but I have to say that throughout my misspent youth I never came across that one. Probably because the way Londoners say cooker does not rhyme with snooker, it's probably a northerners thing as they pronounce cooker with a long cooo :)

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Does that mean Barney Rubble has gone regional? I do a Barney Rubble when I either have a double drink of something, or double a ball in a game of pool.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

thats true Bluerinse

Berk is an acceptable dig at somebody, but its true meaning is much MUCH ruder if you know what its rhyming slag is :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

As we have discussed this on MSN in the past, Ryan - I must thank you for sparing the Forum, We'd have been Donald Ducked if you'd elaborated ! :biggrin

As for gas cooker - this is akin to what Arroryn describes, in terms of regionalisation, gas cooker is a very west coast Scotland saying, and probably not even understood in Edinburgh (but then they're weird over there)

And just a FYI - "bevvy" isn't rhyming slang - it's an abbreviation of beverage. Neither is "barney", but I don't know off-hand the derivation.

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Even TNT is going to "get" the meaning of "Donald Ducked". :blink

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Ooops - should I have said Daffy instead ? :oops:

and do NOT even think about going there, Trip ...:biggrin

11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Say that with a little respect.

[​IMG]

12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Damn, that's good - but GODDAMMIT - I am not rising to it !!! :biggrin

13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

RABBIT SEASON!!!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. ginge

ginge Bit Poster

Being a Londoner, I've been brought up with rhyming slang, mainly my dad and uncles generation are the ones who have used it for donkeys (ears -> years), it is second nature to those that have used it for so long. I don't admit to using it myself, although I find myself using little bits here and there. Pony (and trap -> cr*p) is one that I cannot remove from my vocabulary, it's been there since I was a little boy and its there to stay.

Advanced cockney rhyming slang is something to confuse people.

Aris = bum. How?

Aris(totle) = bottle -> bottle & glass = ar*e

Ever heard the expression "he lost his bottle", well now you know where it comes from 8)

Even I get confused sometimes. For years, I didn't know what a "Mars Bar" was (scar).

Would also like to point out that a lot of this new "Cockney" rhyming slang originates from recent years, Britney Spears for "beers" is a good example, and it has very little to do with Cockneys or London, newer rhyming slang and those who use it in their speech are known as "Mockneys". Jamie Oliver is one such person!

Certifications: none (yet)
    WIP: A+ (soon)
  15. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

blow off v. Blowing off in the UK is not at all similar to blowing off in the US. While Americans know it as brushing someone off, British people use it as an alternative term for breaking wind.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
    Ha Ha Ha
    Ha Ha Ha Ha
    Ha Ha
    Ha

Oh, how childish I feel right now.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD