RHCT

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by Zendog, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Zendog

Zendog Bit Poster

Hiya guys New here and was wondering if anyone can help me? I want to do a RHCT course because I'm certain with this and my home taught skills I will be able to land a job.

I've searched around and cant seem to be able to find anyone local me and pretty much know im going to have to travel to one of the bigger citys. I cant find a provider that does the RHCT anywhere can anyone help me out here and get me on the right road? maybe provide some links or some relevant info. I am self finding this (crazy maybe?:eek:) but at least I will have it paid for out of my own cash.

Thanks in advance!

WIP: A+,CCNA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's one of the few certifications I haven't tackled... mostly because I haven't worked with Red Hat in years. But if I were you, I'd take advantage of self-study options, as well as installing and using Red Hat as much as possible (something you've likely already done).

There's not a lot of RHCT books out there, but a few do exist... and there are TONS of other books that don't address the certification directly, but still cover the subject matter.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Or you could get yourself a CBT or two. Good luck with your studies :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Zendog

Zendog Bit Poster

I'll give the CBT stuff a look but I really want to do the RHCT cert I have no idea how I'd go about doing it. cost isnt really a concern just getting the cert under my belt is.

WIP: A+,CCNA
  5. Chriseast1

Chriseast1 Bit Poster

I did this a couple of years ago and I think self study and a bit of experience you would have no problems. Assuming the exam is the same as when I did it it is more real work than a MS exam. Its split into two parts, Troubleshooting and administration and it is all hands on. You basically get given a server that has a load of problems with it which you have to work through and fix. Once its all up and running you then get various administration tasks like creating users, setting file permissions, patching, setting up network connections etc. They don't care how you get the end result as long as you complete the tasks.

Certifications: see signature
    WIP: MCSA next up 291
  6. Steve.L

Steve.L Byte Poster

I did the RHCT a couple of months ago and failed (most difficult exam taken) having said that I'm a windows man and probably had a total of a weeks knowledge of playing with Linux. My company sent me on the course which is run by Redhat and as far as I am aware its only Redhat that hold the course. The course expects you to know quite a bit about Redhat before you do it as it is delivered at break neck speed. You have to pass the 1st part (troubleshooting) with 100%, this I managed, then you get the second part setting up a redhat client from scratch over the network. They give you the specifications they require. Then you have to do general admin work on the new installation. You need to get 70% I didnt manage this. I am taking the exam again in sept so hopefully I'll crack it this time. Cost of the exam £250.00 cost of the RHCT course around £2000 inc the exam NOT CHEAP!

Steve.L

Certifications: N+, MCP, MCTS, RHCT, VCP4 and 5, RHCSA
    WIP: ccna