RHCE Self-Study

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by Gav, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Hi,

Has anybody had any experience with studying RHCE?

Is it possible to do at home with books? I've maintained a CentOS web server in a live environment for a while now (over a year) and have my ups and downs with it. I've got a quite a bit of Linux experience, and I know my way around the terminal.

Does anyone have any book recommendations?

Thanks,

Gav

2. 04gmead

04gmead New Member

hi gav personaly i wouldnt go with a company if you wanted to self study as the books u will need are cheeper to buy at a shop than throu a company i would recomend goin to a self study tutor and then booking a revision plan and book the test at one of the test center this waqy you dont get conned by companys offering help and as a rule 9times out of 10 they dont offer any help at all

WIP: anything
  3. fuzzmo

fuzzmo New Member

Self Study is in many cases a question that can be answered by yourself. If you know your way around Linux etc. and are pretty comfortable with the command line (a must) then IMHO you shouldn't have too many problems self studying. RHCE - although Linux based - is like MCP/MCSE - a Vendor based exam. So although you are studying Linux you are doing it the Red Hat way.

At the moment I am self studying and am not going to any training providers (although I am currently doing MS Certs). I know my ability hence I am confident that I can study and pass without the need for classroom training (and so far I have passed first time everytime). However I am not proud enough that I don't know when i need help hence if I hit a subject that is completely alien to me then I'll do some research in order to gain extra help (be it classroom tuition etc.).

I would suggest doing research on the best study books and then purchasing them (I would say a couple of books should cover all the bases) and work your way through - if you are comfortable then you should be ok. If you are struggling then that is the time to ask the question about Tuition. I suspect you'll be Ok as you seem to have a pretty decent base of knowledge in Linux - however ultimately you're the only one who'll be able to answer the question.

BTW the RHCE exams are tougher than MS exams in that I believe at the first stage you need to get 100% (or near enough) to even partcipate in the second exam. They are practical based and do test you properly on your knowledge as opposed to multiple choice exams. You need to pass both to become an RHCE.

An alternative to RHCE is LPIC which is gaining a lot of recognition - tough exam also but in a way not as intense as it really tests you on your command line skills. HTH.

Certifications: BSc., MCP: 270, 290, 291; ITIL V3
    WIP: MCSA
  4. ram21

ram21 Banned

self study is very much important thing for every study u do.but in certification its nt dat much enough. u have to go through other ways also. u can go through online learning. i have done my cert prep thru onlinelearning as well as self study. it help me alot. i gt sm chat session with experts. i have done my learning thru hyperlessons, got thru google. heard abt it from many people. hv a look on it.

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Eh? Was that a text message there?

Sorry "txt" message. :rolleyes:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I just hope Ram's IT skills are better than his english ! :D