RFID+ Exam

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by Gary B, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Gary B

Gary B Nibble Poster

I don't see a forum yet for this in the Comptia forum

I was just wondering if anyone has any good sites, resources or links to books, online help etc for this new examination?

Certifications: MCSA 2003
    WIP: You tell me
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I've never even heard of it!

What is RFID? the Comptia site doesn't explain things very well either! :blink

3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

RFID is a bit of a 'hot topic' in some circles.

A RFID is basicaly a very tiny transmitter attached to a retail article , (or almost anything really) that gives an ident of item and serial number to someone with the right receiver unit.

The reason for them being 'hot' is that there are serious concerns about privacy here, as quite often the purchaser of such an article may not know that the device is there.

Have a look at some of the articles on TheRegister to get a feeling for the sort of worries and aguments going on.

The RFID+ cert is so new I doubt there will be much available in the UK yet - and the CompTIA site actualy says that it is 'in development' which suggests that it isn't released yet.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. hbroomhall

Oh - and by the way - welcome to CF Gary!

Harry.

5. Gary B

Gary B Nibble Poster

Hi, thanks for the welcome - I believe the RFID+ exam will be going 'live' at the end of March when the Exam will be available to sit

Already being a member of Comptia I've had a few emails off them and taken a couple of practice online exams which I did quite well in considering no previous exposure to it.

As I work in the Logistics industry I thought I could get a bit of a head start on those around be by learning some of the areas I was unsure about and getting another certification under my belt so to speak.

Whilst the site I work at is fully automated we're a way off going down the RFID route but other sites may be and in my line it will be a useful certification to have

As you say, not too much info on Comptia either but I have a few PDF's outlinning the way to go and there is an exam cram book out 6th April

There are quite a few books on RFID b ut not the actual examination so I could end up concentrating too much on stuff that isn't needed

6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Gary you mind telling us a little more about what this cert is all about - if you can that is? i know the wireless# by CWNP is out anything similar to it?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. Gary B

Gary B Nibble Poster

It's soley to do with the new technology of Radio Frequency Identification

Ove the next few years this technology will take over the world if soem have there way and as others have said that gives many great concern.

It's currently used a lot with logistics companies - they can track individual parcels on the move but also with warehouses etc

Individual items can have an RFID or whole pallets with instantaneous data on exactly where everything is, and also instant stock take capabilities.

Supermarkets could incorporate it - shelves could have readers that sense how many items of a product they have and alert staff that more products should replace those that have been sold - Before they've even been paid for at the checkout.

RFID can also track every movement of workers etc in their work enviroment - how long they are in the canteen , how many times they have a break etc.

Theoretically It could also be continually used once an item has been sold - say you buy a TV, it could be possible for the manufacturers to know exactly where that TV is etc

They could even track the movement of cars, money, software etc

So it's basically the technology that allows you to track the movements of an object either locally around say a warehouse or globally around the planet (two different types of RFID used)

8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Thanks Gary! sounds interesting! When will the cert be out?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  9. Gary B

Gary B Nibble Poster

10. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Isnt this also the new technology thier touting as cybernetic type implants? Like the one that prof has in his arm?? It means when he walks close to a door with an RFID reciver in it i opens for him but could also be programmed for security to keep him out?

I have seen some jobs actually asking for some sort of RFID experience on sites such as www.total.jobs.com but they are few and far between at the mo.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  11. hbroomhall

Er - check out the reports on The Register on that loon from Reading Uni. As far as I can discover none of his experiments have actualy worked. Check on there for 'Captain cyborg'. :biggrin

Harry.