Revision plan in the last 4 weeks leading up to the exam?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by piccadilly, Jul 1, 2009.

1. piccadilly

piccadilly Byte Poster

Hi All,

What was (is) your Revision plan in the last 4 weeks leading up to the exam 271?

2. Seetec Ron

Seetec Ron New Member

Hi. I generally hammer any braindumps and mock tests I have and then make a note of the ones I get wrong and go and revise those topics. Watch out for becoming too familiar with the questions though. If you get the question right but don't know why you got it right then analyse the question and study the topic so you know why.

Certifications: Comptia A+ MCSE CCNA
    WIP: MCITP
  3. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

That's coming from a person with a MCSE? You hammer braindumps? I wouldn't do that ;)

I passed the exam a couple of weeks ago. I just read through the objectives again and made sure that I understood each of them. I did the questions provided with the book I bought (the MS Press) and covered any material I didn't get 90%+ in.

I got to a point where I felt confident in passing the exam so just went over notes I had made previously. I think you can revise too much :)

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

we don't like cheats on here, braindumps can get you decertified for life and other action can be taken.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

haha oh my...
    must be having a laugh.

anyway

If you have any CBT videos (not necessarily nuggets) go through them 2 weeks or so before the exam, if you have any exam cram sheets, try and read those twice a day for a few days before the exam, and if you can afford to do a practice test, do those 2 days before the exam so you know which topic you are weak on... to then cram in materials for the next day.

Generally though you should be familiar with all topics on the exam.. :rolleyes:

I read somewhere that revising is best done around 24-12 hours before the test, as that's when you're most likely to remember... i'm pretty sre its a load of bull considering each person may be different with their memory.. but it's always worked with me!

Good luck eitherway :)

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  6. Adrian.Popescu

Adrian.Popescu Byte Poster

Braindumps??? Charming...Well done mate :x

Certifications: City&Guild's Level2&3, CompTIA A&N+, MCP
    WIP: MCDST
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Nice. :rolleyes: I can only hope you're not the Ron Scates that teaches at Seetec. If you are, you should have your credentials stripped.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. greenbrucelee

12 Months | £1,295 for the A+ at seetec.

What a rip off you could knock a grand of and stll have enough to spend on a decent night after paying for both A+ exams and learning materials yourself :D

9. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Well in all fairness... let's not jump to conclusions... seetec may have named a product of their own created exam questions, 'braindumps'.
    ...why? who knows

but their 'braindumps' might not actually be the same as the ones that shouldnt be named- afterall, why would somebody openly post their name, their company, role and advertise that they cheat people to gain certification...

think twice

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  10. BosonMichael

Come on, now, Daz... I was born at night... but not last night. :rolleyes:

Why would they post their name? Because some people - including many trainers, sadly - see nothing wrong with braindumps, particularly if it helps their students to pass.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  11. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

hahah i actually lol'd

I understand that, but like you say.. if somebody could get stripped of their certification.. then wouldnt Mr Scates at Seetec realise that his training career, complimented by and most possibly based off his certifications would cease and he would be jobless?

Something just doesn't seem right! :blink

12. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I like to go through all the objectives, one by one, as my final revision. I write down what I know about each objective , draw a line under it, do a quick review of the material, and add any corrections or omissions underneath the line.
    Whatever is underneath the line is what I need to brush up on, everything above the line (assuming it's correct) doesn't need to be revised again.
    it's a dull and tedious way of doing it but it works for me

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  13. BosonMichael

He's probably never met someone who's been decertified.

There's absolutely NO way that a manager/trainer who ALSO develops internal IT training materials for OVER a decade wouldn't know the usage of the term "braindump". No, I'm fairly certain he knows what he's doing using braindumps. Then again, it's not me who he would need to convince of his innocence.

14. greenbrucelee

People who use braindumps are tools, and the people who are using them don't realise **** because they're tools.:D

15. Seetec Ron

Seetec Ron New Member

Clearly you have misinterpreted my posting. By 'Braindump' I mean self assessment tests which I think you will find come with the MSPress books as well as many other sources. Also if you read the posting again I do state to use them as a guide to find out what your weak subjects are and revise those topics accordingly. I would certainly not advocate using them as the exclusive method of passing the exam which many of you seem to imply in your postings. This method should be used in the final few weeks prior to taking the exam in order to ensure that there is nothing that has been overlooked during the course of study.

Certifications: Comptia A+ MCSE CCNA
    WIP: MCITP
  16. BosonMichael

Come on, Ron... you've been in IT training for, what, 14 years - and you don't know that the term "braindump" is an industry standard term for "stuff you're NOT supposed to use to cheat on exams"?

Doesn't matter whether you use braindumps as a "guide" or not... Microsoft clearly forbids their use for any reason at all. Using them is like stealing a professor's final exam from his or her desk and studying those questions.

Bottom line: if you NEED braindumps to pass, you're not ready to pass the exam, and if you're ready to pass the exam, you DON'T need braindumps.

17. greenbrucelee

using as a guide or using to cheat is the same thing to me.

I haven't been in the industry that long but I know what braindumps are and I know what cheating is.

Any halfwit can pass an exam the actual skill comes from being able to use what you have learned from studying in the real world and if you need to cheat to do this then you shouldn't be in the industry.

It's people using braindumps wether as a guide or to pass an exam (=same thing) that have screwed the IT industry up because there are too many dickheads playing with things they shouldn't be playing with.

18. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

What's the difference between a mock test and a self assessment test?

If anyone remembers the Young Ones: answer that and stay fashionable should be the next line I feel.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  19. piccadilly

piccadilly Byte Poster

I read that if you use Transcender mock assessments that once you used once, you can't again as it would not reflect accurate exam conditions?

20. BosonMichael

That's true of any practice exam you use. The only way to ensure that you'll be ready for the real thing is to take an exam full of questions you haven't yet seen. The second time you see a question, you're going to be more able to answer that question - not necessarily because you understand the material any better, but because you've seen the question before. You won't have questions on the live exam that you've seen before... so taking a practice exam that contains questions you've already seen before will not let you know whether you're ready for the real thing.

My suggestion: Take Exam A, then read the explanations for ALL of the questions, even the ones you answered correctly. Then put the exam away and study your weak points. Then take Exam B, repeating the review and study process. Do NOT take Exam C until you think you are ready for the real thing, because (assuming there are 3 unique exams in your practice exam product) that's going to be the last time you can accurately assess your progress.

Afterwards, you can certainly take random exams over and over and over again to solidify the content in your mind... but realize that you're probably just memorizing those questions at that point, and your score won't be a reflection of what you can expect on the real thing. Understanding why the right answers are right and the wrong answers are wrong is the key - once you've got that, then you're probably ready.