Review of Connectix's Fibre Optic Training course

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Kitkatninja, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Review of Connectix's Fibre Optic Training course

Following on from this post and the recommendation of UKD, I booked and went on Connectix's Fibre Termination Training Course.

Travel time: As the course was in Essex, it took me 1 1/2 hours to get there in the morning (left at 06.45hrs). However on the way back it took 2hrs & 15mins due to 10 mins stuck in rush hour traffic and an accident on the A14.

Course time/length: While offically the course starts at 09.00 (08.45 for drinks and introductions), because there was only 3 of us we started a little earlier. The course offically ends at 17.00hrs, however as we did more practicals it over ran (which was a good thing), so didn't actually leave until 17.45. All of us could have stayed longer to play around more, but by the end of it all of us were very tired.
    Course facilities: OK, but lets face it, I'm not there for the look of the building. However I could see that on hotter days aircon maybe needed. Just be aware that if you sign up for this course, that it is a full days course and that if you're driving there and back any long distance we will be very tired by the end of it.

Course Food: Excellent, we were given a choice that day of pizza or sandwiches. We went for the sandwiches, fruit & crisps. I could not fault it.

Course itself: Excellent, it covers the theory in the morning session and most of the afternoon is practical. You learn 3 techiques; "Light Crimping", "Glue, polish & heat curing", as well as fusion splicing. There is an exam at the end of the course, which you have to get 80% to pass, however we were told that the pass rate was very high. The tutor was knowledgeable & friendly.

There seems to be a shortage of good 1 day fibre optic courses and Connectix's fills the gap nicely, one thing I would like to see is more regional based training centres (closer to home). Apart from that, there are other fibre optic courses, however they are 2 days to 5 days long and the course fees reflect this.

Can't wait to put in practice what I learnt :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Glad you found it good m8; I really rate the Connectix stuff too (courses and equipment).

It's getting on for 7 years ago I did my structured cabling course with them but I managed to do it at a local electrical wholesaler's premises with a load of electricians. If you have good contacts with one (go round local industrial estates) you may be able to get a more local course (assuming Connectix still go out and do the courses that way).

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. Kitkatninja

Yep, they still do on-site courses, however you have to meet the minimum numbers.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  4. John Kellow

John Kellow New Member

Ken, it sounds like the Connectix course was just right. Can I ask what made you choose their course among all the other similar manufacturers' training programmes?

Thanks and all the best.

5. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for posting views on company & training wagnerk. I'm looking at their structured cabling course wonder if Job Centre will pay course fee !

6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Doubt it. Even if you maxed out their discretionary fund that's only £300.

Might be worth checking with Connectix to see if they're running a course more local to you - you may be able to haggle a deal if they need to make up numbers.

7. Kitkatninja

Three things really:

1. Price
    2. Length
    3. Timing

Alot of other Fibre Optic courses have very similar content, however:

1. Connectix were the only ones that had 2 courses running between now and the summer when our project work will start (we are unable to send 2 people to the same course at the moment, as our IT Tech isn't fully trained yet)
    2. Price wise they were the cheapest at £350, other courses were £500 upwards (granted, please see point 3 why)
    3. Connectix were the only ones that did the 1 day course.

Plus we were sending 2 people on the course, so 2 days at £700 is better than 4 days at £1000 or 10 days at £1200 (work load wise). The 10 day one was a City & Guilds full 5 day course, but no one in our area is doing this, plus fibre optic installation is not our main job.

-Ken

8. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

Job Center says No only if I could prove I could get a full time job after would they look at any payment.

9. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Unfortunately it seems to be their attitude these days - not their fault, they're only acting under orders

10. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Was on the same course today and agree with Ken's review, the course was excellent. Very long day, and if you aren't local then it's in a bad location for evening traffic (nr Stanstead airport).

Like Ken said (or implied) the building itself is very shabby to look at from the outside. Umm nothing like this which is the pic on their website.

[​IMG]

The one thing I found unacceptable (and maybe this is just a thing with me) but the toilet in the training facility was absolutely disgusting. Tap hanging off the wall, and the cubical was pretty rank (didn't look like it had been cleaned in a while).

Apparently they are moving to a new facility in the near future, which is fine, but all it would take it a lick of paint and a cleaner to regularly clean / check the toilet to keep it hygenic.

They clearly aren't short of money though, as parked outside was an Aston Martin Vantage and a Maseratti GT.

So in clonclusion, great course, but the most digusting toilets I have seen in a long time!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada