Review for Boson ExSim Security+ Engine

Discussion in 'Security+' started by Killian, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

Not sure where to post this as I don't have the privelege to post in the 'Reviews' section so figure this is as good a place as any :biggrin

I’ve never really reviewed a product online before and sometimes words come out wrong/weird so please bear with me on this; my Boson ExSim Max Security+ Exam Engine.

I recently signed up to be a product tester to Boson and, as part of the agreement, agreed to give them some feedback and provide an honest review (good or bad) about my experience. This is that review.

I took the ExSim Max Security+ Exam prep as the product I would test and this was the first Boson product I’d used. I’ve used a few different exam engines to prepare for exams in the past (Transcender & Preplogic to name two) but, thinking back, had never even heard of Boson until I read about them on this forum. Having used the Security+ prep however I’m confident to say I’ll be going back again no doubt and this is why; their material.

Every other engine I’ve used have given explanations as to why the answer is correct or incorrect but Bosons material went a step further for me. It explains clearly why the answers are correct or incorrect but it also explains what the other options actually do or are so is a perfect refresher. I’m the kind of person that sometimes reads a question and see’s and option that is clearly incorrect but often times find myself asking exactly what it stands for and does. The option may be completely off topic but it’s nice to reinforce what you may already know and an added bonus if you’ve forgotten.

The grammar and style of the whole engine is also excellent. I signed up to test the product and look for errors and am happy to say the only errors I found were slight and few in number. I’m also confident Boson will have had these issues reported (by myself and others) and addressed asap.

One thing that I really missed and, thinking back to it, didn’t put in the feedback I gave them (hopefully they’re reading this and will pick it up :D ) is the option that I always used in a previous engine; the ability to eliminate answers after you got them correct ‘x’ amount of times. I used to use this a week or so before the exam where I would just do a random 50 question test every day or so until I’d answered every single question correctly (those I got wrong would appear in a future exam and those correct were eliminated from my selection pool).

The important thing to take from this review is the fact that their material was spot on. I sat the exam after using the Syngress 3rd Edition Study Book and the Boson Exam Prep Material (I also had PrepLogic but really don’t rate that at all – the explanations were pretty poor!) and came out the exam with just over 95% if I remember correctly.

I’m not going to give the software a star rating as I think those kinds of things are really hard to quantify but what I will say is this; if you are looking for a test engine to get you through Security+ and wouldn’t mind the opportunity to ‘refresh’ yourself on certain topics then you owe it to yourself to pick up the Boson engine. It’s the same price if not cheaper than other packages and I feel you get every pennies (or cents….) worth from the investment.

All I hope for now is the engine to have the ‘eliminate after x amount of questions’ built in and I’ll be happily using Boson for a long time, until then I’ll be gladly using Boson!

Certifications: See sig.
    WIP: Everything!
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Thanks for the suggestions, Killian - I will certainly pass them along to the developers. Glad the software helped you with your studies! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for the review! I'm glad to hear that our product was helpful :)

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Hey, Killian... I just noticed that this feature is indeed available in our engine...

[​IMG]

I asked the developers, and they've said this feature has been in there for years. Hope this helps! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!