Retraining for different career - advise needed

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Ruthi-B, May 12, 2008.

1. Ruthi-B

Ruthi-B New Member

Hello

I am currently working full time as a general administrator (posh name for secretary!!), but I am now looking at re-training for a career in IT. I've thought about Computeach but having done a bit of a search on the net I am thinking that they are rather expensive and I need to do this as cheaply as possible!!

I like the idea of doing programming - you typing a load of gobbledegook into the computer and it does something at the end of it! We used to have an Amstrad CPC464 and I loved typing stuff in and getting it to make noises or pretty patterns on the screen!! Ok I'm guessing it isn't like that in reality but I'm trying to give you a bit of background.

I always seem to be asked by friends and family to go and sort out their computers - whether its a program won't install or the printer won't work I'm the one they ask to go and look at it.

I have no formal qualifications or experience in IT. So what do you suggest is the best cheapest way to get into IT? I'm currently on £14k and don't really want to go lower than this. Oh and I'm 35 if it helps!

Certifications: None IT related
    WIP: CompTIA A+ - Self Study
  2. Evan

Evan New Member

Hey Ruthie, I'm in the same kind of situation (and new to this forum). I love being on my computer and am going to start a computer degree with the OU later this year because of my interest. I would love to re-train for a career in IT/Computing (the degree will take a few years to get and I don't want to wait that long!). There seem to be so many different courses and qualifications out there - I really don't know where to start. I've read some of the threads about the companies like Advent - I think I'll steer clear of them, and they seem way too expensive. Basically, I need some advice about the best way to start in IT. Hope someone replies to our posts:)

3. SVista

SVista Bit Poster

The bast way forward would be to definitely self study. Start with the A+ and get the Mike Meyers all in one Guide, its a great book. It costs next to nothing compared to £xxxx amount from training companies. You'll be ready for your exam in no time and a self studied qualification looks good to prospective employers on your CV.

All the best

SV

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

What he said ^

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?