retirement of 800 series introduction of 900 series.. how will this work?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Juelz, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

So the 901/02 will be out this year Im guessing as the books for the cert comes out Dec 2nd. How long will we have after the 901/02 come out to get the 801/02? I guess your answer will reflect on how long people could obtain the 701/02 when the 801/02 came out. Asking due to working out my future cert plans.

2. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Also lets say you passed the 801 but failed the 802, andtheexam had now been retired.. would this deem the 801 pass useless or could you use it to skip the 901 and justsit the 902?

3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I would just study the requirements and then see what's changed between the exams, it's not like the old hardware would have changed, it's only newer technologies you would need to concentrate on.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

If it's any help, I was studying for my Network+ earlier this year when N10-006 was announced in February, and the N10-005 was set to retire in August.. so if that's anything to go by they'll probably give 6 months after 901/02 goes live before retiring the 800s.. but don't take my word for it. As Simon said, not a whole lot will change so there's loads you can take from studying the current version that will be applicable to future exams.

5. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

Stick with the 800 series rather htan waiting months for the 900 and then you may have to start from scratch on some areas.

In the event that you pass the 801 and fail the 802 and then the 800 series retires, then yes you will need to do the 900 series to be certified... just passing one of the exams doesn't give you any certification. I like the idea that the A+ exam will one day move over in to just one exam, but we will see what happens with that.... and is probably unlikely anyway.

Good luck with your studies and exams!

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  6. Guvnor

Guvnor Nibble Poster

From Professor Messer's website

Juelz likes this.
  7. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for that info, I stopped checking for updates awhile back as it seemed to be moving slow. Really liking the look of the new exams