Retired Exams and what to do next.

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by snips73, Oct 6, 2008.

1. snips73

snips73 New Member

Hello to you all. First post here in the forums so I hope you dont Flame me....Just kiddin

Many years ago in 99 i took an NT4 MCP and passed. (a long time ago now)
    In 2000 i started a MCSE track in 2000 and passed the following

221 Designing a Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Network Infrastructure Aug 10, 2001
    216 Implementing and Administering a Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Network Infrastructure Jun 22, 2001
    215 Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Server Mar 12, 2001
    210 Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Professional Dec 06, 2000
    073 Implementing and Supporting NT™ 4.0 Workstation Sep 03, 1999

then stopped due to the company going bust.
    Since then been doing many IT jobs (VM and Lotus:ohmy ) but decided to revisit the MS exams.

Stupidly i have now realised the I missed an MCSA 2000 by not doing 70-218 and as such the upgrade to 2003.
    Is there any chance of doing a retired exam?
    if not what would you do, the 2000 Proffesional counts towards 2003 MCSA but is it worth it, would it be easier just to do the 2008 track.

feedback very much apreciated.

Certifications: MCP, CLP, ITIL (F), Prince2 (F)
    WIP: none but need to!
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

As far as I'm aware I've never heard of Microsoft giving partial credit. Cert exams have to be taken when they are available to to get the cert.

See Here :- http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcpexams/status/examstoretire.mspx#FAQ

Once a path is closed thats it, its a one size fits all approach.

You'll have to start again from scratch on either 2003 or 2008. Under the circumstances 2008 might make more sense.

Maybe try and talk to someone from Microsoft learning about it.

I'd probably blow it all out and go do an MSc if I was in your position.

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

When the 2000 route was retired (after MS gave a year's notice) they did give a grace period of a couple of months after the retirement date for people to wrap up un-finished business with 2000. Now that's over, you either have a choice of doing the 2003 route or the 2008 route.

See here.

Or like dmarsh already said:

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

DMarsh is correct that once an exam is retired, it's retired. He is also correct that you will have to start again from scratch. However, I would recommend that you do the 2003 track, as most companies are using Windows Server 2003, not 2008.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. snips73

snips73 New Member

Thanks Gents for the come back. Its been quite a few years since i did any certs so playing a bit of catch up.
    So as i suspected the Retired is a defo retired, bummer. My fault for getting lazy and not keeping up with things.

Not knowing much about MSc , I guess you are talking Masters in Computing :eek:
    Its been a long time since i did proper education, about 15 years ago a did a ONC in Aeronautical science and that was day release.
    How long does an MSc take, 1 - 2 years? or am i talking rubbish and an Msc is something completly differant:oops:

Certifications: MCP, CLP, ITIL (F), Prince2 (F)
    WIP: none but need to!
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Yes the MSc is a Maters degree :)

The MSc take about 1 year full time or 2 year part-time. Our local Uni offers the MSc for a total of £4500 part-time, 2 evenings a week for 2 years (prices do vary Uni to Uni and increased every year).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security