Retaining the endless specs. This is for anyone that is studying an A+ or for anyone

Discussion in 'A+' started by Vengal, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Vengal

Vengal Bit Poster

Retaining the endless specs. This is for anyone that is studying an A+ or for anyone who completed it or just general

My problem is that after 3 months max it tends to fade away & sometimes it is literally over night!

May b I am not utilizing dynamic learning methods, when I was going through the first folder I was taking notes about 2/3 in I realized that taking notes will not cut it. I thought to my self that I might have to re-read this several times, so I ditched the note taking for now, I am using high lighters in folders high lighting key parts & occasional putting notes on the side of texts.

High lighting and reading for now trying to familiarise my self as much possible and picking up a few specs on the way. Trying to take in everything all at once does not really work for every one, that s what caught me out when I was taking notes.

One key thing I have picked on is that once I have learnt something solidly it stays in there for a couple of days but for some reason if do not do the tedious and sometimes plain annoying/painful activity of going over it in my mind @ regularly times I become “stuffed”. This @ certain times has put me in bad situations, knowing that I knew/ learnt something vigorously I put my self up for the job but when it came to the punch line you can guess what happened. Is there anyone else like me?

Literally over night I have successfully managed to forget these:

* Comptia trouble shooting model, } I know this 1 is a 5 stage process, can just about barely/almost remember this 1
    * Comptia Networking Trouble shooting }I can recall a few bits
    * Novell}
    * I only managed to remember 5 colour coded wires that connect to the motherboard from the power supply, i.e. m/board power cable:

* the printing process. Application/ spooler/ printer

* OSI

* Active directory

-orange +3.3 Volts
    -Red- 12 volts }PS I am not sure if the red or yellow is minus (-) volts
    -Yellow- 12 volts }
    -Black- Ground
    Green +/- 5 volts

* how often do u go over the endless specs that you learnt?

* do you spend an hour a day mulling through your mind A+ criteria, or are you the type of person that needs to sit at home & needs to look @ the notes??

* Let me know how you people are getting on with it or how you got on with it?

WIP: A+ N+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

when I did the A+ I highlighted importants parts in Mike Meyers AIO (not sure what this folder is you mention) and read them a few times. It actually becomes easier to remember things when you are actually doing it for real though.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Phiggles

Phiggles Bit Poster

I found the high lighter trick good, i ended up using 2. 1 for info thats useful the the 2nd colour for steps on how to do things, came in handy after reading the book the 1st time as you could then instantly pick up the important bits without to much waffle.

In my microsoft 70-290 book ive written notes over the pages, puttin info where i need it without re reading it to find it.
    Things like power supply voltages, i think u just need to know what voltage say the red wire from a psu carries not the orders and such, i may be corrected.

Good luck mate

Certifications: A+
    WIP: 70-270
  4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Firstly you need to identify what you need to know from the tons of information presented to you. For instance, learning the colours of the wires on the motherboard connector doesn't seem to be required, knowing that it should be supplying +/-12, +/-5 and +3.3 V DC is. Use practice exams to figure out what's important.

Secondly, use different techniques for different types of information. The OSI is a good example, someone on here told me that Programmers Don't Never Throw Sloppy Pizza Away (Physical, Datalink, Network...).

Use flashcards for the seemingly interminable "list of lists", as I call it. Things like video resolutions, CAT speeds etc don't lend themselves well to any techniques other than brute memory. It's best to do a little each day. This has really helped my long term memory of these facts.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

Hah I like that one :D Think I will jot that down.

I agree on the flash cards. You might not be convinced when you start using them but they definitely work very well for me. Google flashcard software, there are plenty that can run on screen/make an easily printable set of flashcards.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Check this out.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

8. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

After I have read the Mike Meyers AiO book fully all the way through I will take note of the objectives and just learn the information needed to complete each objective :)

Certifications: BTEC Nat Dip: Software Dev, A+
    WIP: None Yet
  9. Crito

Crito Banned

Don't never? You British people talk funny. :o LOL

I prefer: Please Do Not Throw Sausage Pizza Away.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  10. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

No, we don't. The bad grammar of the sentence helps me to remember it though.
    I like the sentiments of your version.

11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I forgot to add instead of using flash cards I made a slide show on powerpoint with info like IRQs etc

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?