Results

Discussion in 'A+' started by greenbrucelee, Jan 23, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I know this isn't in the correct forum but there isn't PDI+ forum.

I took this beta exam several months ago just to see what my knowledge is like and so I could see what the exam centres are like.

As I said at the time the centre I went to was quite noisy as it was part job centre part internet cafe.

Anyhow the pass mark for this exam is 675 I only scored 665 although this is a fail I don't think I did too badly as I did no revising and the most I have ever done with a printer is replace the toner and ink cartridges, lets hope this doesn't continue for my A+.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Im sure it won't continue into your A+, you'll ace them no problems! Any idea when your going to sit them now?

Unlucky with the PDI+, only 10 marks away but at least you know with a bit of work you could pass it no problems if you wanted to later on... :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Too bad about the fail, but considering that you didn't really study (how could you?) to get to that score (10 points away from a pass) it's very good :)

It is something that you'll sit again when the exam goes live?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. greenbrucelee

Cheers

I am looking at taking both exams by April at the latest, but instead of going by to the test centre I did the PDI+ at I am going to go the centre in Newcastle. My test centres aren't very local the nearest one is 55 miles away then there is Newcastle which is 64 miles away but quicker to get to.

I may take the PDI+ in the future but it isn't on my list of priorities really.

5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I shouldn't worry about it as Ken states you didn't really study for it and in a noisy part job centre part internet cafe then it's hard to concentrate. i still think you should go for it, another cert under the belt is better than not having it!:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Wow, that's great, GBL... I'll consider this a "congrats" since you didn't really have a way to study for it and you're only 10 points away from passing! :) As soon as you find an employer who will pay for you to take exams (and you likely will), you're almost as good as in.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. greenbrucelee

I might consider it in the future, its quite a pricey exam £159 I think unless someone pays for me to take it.

Thanks for the kind words.

8. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Too bad about the results; but it's pretty impressive that you were only 10 points off. A couple of questions could have tipped the scales in your favour. Good Luck when you attempt again, which you really should do :)

9. greenbrucelee

I'm not sure how this cert relates to anything career wise, unless you were wanting be a printer engineer which I don't.

But I suppose it could be useful for a tech to have if a company they worked for didn't want to pay for a contractor to come in.

10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Almost GBL, a few questions off. Still though like others mentioned you were very close and did not prepare for it. I am sure the second time you sit this one you'll pass for sure.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Good score that mate considering it is a new exam. :thumbleft

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. greenbrucelee

Yeah probably, I have just filled in the pearson vue questionnair that asks what I thought of the test centre, and I put that there were lots of distractions. Who know I may have passed if it hadn't have been part internet cafe with people asking what does this button do and things like that.

I was quietly confident when I left the exam looking at the score sheet that came with the letter this morning it looks like I got all of the common sense questions correct but went wrong on a few of the component questions.

There were 115 questions pass mark 675 so I guess if I had got 3 more correct I would have passed.

One things for sure I'll be going to the other test centre for my A+ exams.

13. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Well done on the score GBL... 115 questions?? :ohmy I am glad I wasn't taking it...

If you don't mind me asking, how do you get invited, or did you offer, to sit a BETA exam like that?

Again, congrats on the score... 8)

I am surprised the pass mark wasn't lower given the BETA nature and the number of q's.

14. greenbrucelee

When it was announced anyone interested had to email compTIA and then you had to fill in a suitability questionnair which had questions like are you a begginer or expert?

I suppose they had to pick a mixture of begginers and experts and thats how they determin the passing scores.

I got an email back saying take it by such & such a date and a voucher code number.

I am glad it was free

15. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Thanks for the info... I'll keep an eye out for anything else coming along.

Still can't believe there were so many questions!

16. greenbrucelee

I was supprised at how many there were too.

Wagnerk takes a lot of beta exams, i think some of his certs were done that way. It could be different with Microsoft but after I emailed compTIA about the beta exam I am now on their mailing list so I'll know when beta exams are available, and I'll be able to apply to any of them. With that though if you fail the beta you have to pay the next time.

17. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Hi GBL

Sometimes, when such matters arise a reality check needs to come to the fore to prevent the mistake following through to your A+ exam. And yes, it still is possible for you to fail if you're not prepared.

I nearly passed, so that means that I can pass, right?

Wrong! A fail is a fail. It shows a lack of preparation and knowledge regarding the subject that you are being examined in. Granted that it was a narrow fail, but regardless if it was a real exam you would have had to prepare yourself again for a resit. I too am confident that you can pass, but you will not do so unless you study much harder.

The center was quite noisy so that's probably why.

That's just an excuse, you chose to take the exam in such an environment believing that you can ace it. Clearly if you were in a position to 'ace the exam' then not even the noise would have prevented you from passing. Hit those books and don't make any more excuses! :)

I chose to take the exam even though I did no revision.

So how do you expect to pass an exam when you have no idea of the required knowledge to pass? :blink When taking an exam you can't be lazy. Also, don't make the mistake of being happy to simply 'pass' - hit those books and hammer away at weak topics in particular until you know your stuff - ask others with experience if you're really having trouble - do whatever it takes to go into that exam with confidence, watching others revising notes minutes before the exam with you calmly waiting your turn in the queue. Trust me, it's a great feeling!

I hope you take this advice on board and act on it. My kudos is waiting for you when you pass. :salut

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.