1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Restricting a user from logging onto a particular computer

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by thetokyoproject, Aug 21, 2008.

1. thetokyoproject

thetokyoproject Byte Poster

I was wondering if there was another way of restricting a domain user from loggin onto a particular PC apart from using group policy?

Also if GP is the only way, can we do it through local machine GP or does it have to be a domain GP?

Cheers.

Certifications: 271
  2. Arroryn
    Honorary Member

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed

Hi TTP. From what I'm assuming (from what I know) in a 2K3 domain you can lock down in AD under 'profile' and lock down from there a user account from logging in to a certain PC? Will expand on this when I'm not replying from my Blackberry!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Hi,

In AD, on the users properties, click on the account tab, then theres a box to choose 'log on to'.

EDIT : Sorry, I've never done this via Group Policy, so not sure exactly if it can be done there.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  4. thetokyoproject

thetokyoproject Byte Poster

yea, there's log onto particular machines or all machiens, but i need log onto all but one machine - there's no deny function...

so the answer's prob in GP then.

Certifications: 271
  5. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Sorry, completely misread the situation then....

Edit your GPO and look at... Computer Configuration / Windows Settings / Security Settings / Local Policies / User Right Assignment. There's a setting for 'log on locally.'

This settings explanation...

Does this help?

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  6. Amine

Amine Byte Poster

Hello,

there is a couple of ways to achieve this...remove the domain users from the local users group...downside to doing this that it will stop nearly everyone logging to that particular computer / use a group policy by placing the computer that you dont want the user logging to into it's own OU and apply a GPO using the restricted group option...

Hope this helps

WIP: Exchange