Restore defaults

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by karan1337, Dec 4, 2010.

1. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

I'm more than half way through the MS press book for 70-272 and i'm stuck right now.

What exactly does "Reset Menu and Toolbar Usage" option do apart from removing personalized menus? In short, what is the role of "Reset Menu" in the above statement, because after trying a lot, modifying menus, changing their order etc and trying the same command, all i could observe was that only the most recently used commands were removed and the menu showed no changes. Nothing more.

I got a question wrong in the MS press book that led to this confusion.

It says that u need to "restore defaults to the menus and also the default toolbar". For a toolbar to return to its original state(including explicit customizations) is to simply reset it.

What i came to know after experimenting was-:
    1. To reset commands under a menu, reset the menu itself
    2.To reset all the menus, reset the menu bar.
    3.To remove personalized menus, use "Reset Menu and toolbar usage data" button.
    4.To undo all customized settings including position of menus etc, use "Detect and Repair" option.

Thanks in advance for any clarifications.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
    Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS, Brainbench: XP and Vista [Master]
    WIP: Bachelors:Computer Science
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It is a violation of copyright to post actual questions here. Please edit your post and remove the actual question content.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

Post is now edited.

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

So are you saying that you believe the book to be in error? Have you checked their errata for the book? You can usually find it online...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

Nope, i didnt say that it's an error in the book. I only wanted to know what's right and what's not so that i dont make further mistakes.

Help appreciated.

6. BosonMichael

I guess I don't understand your question then, because I'm not sure what you're comparing to what. If the book says that you should "restore defaults to the menus", how is that different from "resetting the menu"?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

Yes, restore defaults to menu simply means reset the menu. BUT the option "Reset Menu and Toolbar Usage" DOES NOT reset the menu. The way to reset the menu is from the "Rearrange commands" Button and then selecting Menu Bar and then clicking on Reset.

In 1 line, what does the option "Reset Menu and Toolbar Usage" do to the menu bar? :eek:

8. BosonMichael

My point is, the book doesn't say to "click the Reset Menu and Toolbar Usage option", does it? In any case, it sounds like you've found the way to do it.

To answer your second question, I have no idea what the Reset Menu and Toolbar Usage option does. I'd recommend Googling it.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010