resources for self study!!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by computerian, Mar 30, 2011.

1. computerian

computerian Bit Poster

hello guys, today i want to know about the resources for self study. I dont have any certs but IT degree:(.
    I dont have brief knowledge of servers and all those. I did some of the labs in my degree but i guess all of you guys know thats insufficient. so, overall i do have basic knowledge on networking and servers.

Now i really want to study,practise the windows servers..but i dont have any idea about the books,videos or any other means for self study. Please suggest me how to do self study servers efficiently. I would be grateful if u guys suggest me the good books, videos, website....

I wonder if there is any simulator for the windows server so that we can practise.

Thanks guys!!!

2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Unfortuantely, it's going to be the same as the others.

When you say basic knowledge of servers - in what respect. e.g - Active Directory, DNS servers, DHCP, DFS etc?

You need to get experience first of all, in the fundamentals of working within IT in a workplace - which could mean starting at the bottom, IT Helpdesk / 1st line support / desktop assistance etc.

You need to master a support role of the above kind ideally before even thinking of moving onto a server based role, i've got 5 years experience combined between 1st to 3rd line support - and am just moving into server infrastructure now (Windows 2008 R2 etc) - and i'm studying for the MCITP: Enterprise Administrator - possibly the MCITP: Server Administrator, haven't decided yet.

You can of course study for this first if you should so wish to, but i don't think you're going to get alot of luck finding a job on that qualification alone without prior exposure to basic IT support on 1st line / helpdesk roles.

If i were you - get out there job hunting and find somewhere to offer you experience, it'll be basic - but after 9 months to a year, you'll have a good amount of experience behind you, and that'll count lots in your next job role, be it in server admin, or even a higher based support role.

Whilst job hunting/working - get studying for something like the A+, then the N+ - and finally move onto your speciality, which in your case i would guess would be server administration. so something after the A+ & N+ would be the Server+ - or you could go straight onto perhaps an MCITP, similar to what i'm doing.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
    Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud