resitting the ccna

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by craiggc, Mar 24, 2004.

1. craiggc

craiggc New Member

studied for 3 months and did a boot camp - we were the 1st lot to do the new exam - 80% failed (guarenteed pass boot camp :roll: )

anyways i missed it by 3% and by 10% the second time :evil:

so - im up for it again (got a half price exam) but have some questions :-

- are there any recommended exam/sim softwares tha cover the latest CCNA

- does the exam have `weighted` questions ? - i have someone working with me going thro the Cisco academy programme and their exams have weighted questions and they swear the exams are too ?? - ie you get some marks for 2 answers in a 3 answer question..

fingers crossed i can nail it this time....

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Sorry to hear about the fails, Craig - I haven't done Cisco yet, but plenty of the Guys in here have, so they'll be along shortly to help you out.

Fingers crossed for the resits :thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. craiggc

craiggc New Member

actually just read the cisco general section and read of the changes to the CCNA - i wonder if i can have my test regraded since i missed by only 3% ???

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Wish I could help you but I'm totally unfamilar with the new exam. Was the boot camp geared to the changes or were they working off the old material. I can't believe that Cisco's site wouldn't have a list of the up-to-date books and sims available. Have you tried there? If you're still stuck, I'll do some searching and see what I can find. Let me know.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Japes

Japes Bit Poster

mmmm know where your coming from craig, got back form the exam centre myself having tried to pass the CCNA today, got a score 793. I Fouled up a SIM second from last question, just coldn't get it right I had a good 8 minutes before I started it, I think the time palyed a factor as I remember being fixed on that rather than the SIM. I may have passed had I gotten it nailed, but thats in the past.
    On the bright side at least I know what I'm looking at for the re-sit.

As far as weighted questions go, it wouldn't surprise me as at the very least Cisco do say that the sims are worth more than an average question. See the link just below.
    Cisco Q&A on the SIMS

I personally have been making notes here of the things I know I fouled up on and the stuff I wasn't too sure of.... :( can't hurt as it gives me a focus on my study.

All the best for your future studing.... and nail that exam :)

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

As difficult as it is not to pass, it does give you an advantage in knowing what to expect when you take it again. With your experience in mind, hit the books/sims/routers and strengthen the areas that might need a little more help.

7. craiggc

craiggc New Member

exactly what happened to me - a sim and 10 questions left - messed up the sim and just managed to do last 10 - got 81% :(

resat a couple of hours later and got 76%, felt sick about it since then...

but ive got to sort it out !!

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

The flash items (sims) are tough. Fortunately, the act almost exactly the same way the router does on the CLI (I only found one command that wasn't supported) so if you're good at troubleshooting configurations and screw it up, you can still fix it before going on to the next item (once you go on, you can't go back). I nailed the first flash item with no problem but screwed up the second one. I was able to test it to see that what I did hadn't worked so I went back and finally figured it out. It wasn't a pretty pass score but it was a pass.

Attending the cisco netacademy was a real life saver. All those hours working on real switches and routers really helped. I don't know if the study sims give the same feel or not.

9. Japes

Japes Bit Poster

Yup couldn't agree more Trip.... The local collage doesn't do an academy programme that I've been able to find out about.

I've spent lots of time at r1r2.com and free-labs.com. for those that don't already know about the sites r1r2 has 6 sets of 2 router setups and free-labs has a 7 router frame relay and switch setup, both are free to use and were invaluable aids in my learning. Another good site, although it isn't taking new users at present is celticrover.com, I find the sims there a little to ridgid but the info is superb, on hte whole the best CCNA support site around.

I personally am either going to re-take the exam in about 3 weeks time, after going through all the study stuff again and/or wait for a long while and move onto SQL as there is a ned for it in the office. Having said that I know if I wait I'll loose the impetus to continue.