Research on flat screen TVs

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Nov 4, 2008.

1. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Just sent you a PM Trip. The Sharp LC37SB24U has that price beat by $150. :D

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Oops. Just saw the PM. Also, just back from the store. Luck of the draw, they were out of stock, but really, really hating shopping as I do, today has been more or less torture. We visited every store we could think of. True, we were shopping for more than just a TV, but I can think of better and more emotionally settling ways to spend my time.

Didn't realize there'd be so many people out and about, but that's my lack of experience, since I don't normally "do" after-Christmas shopping. The missus and I came to a decision a few hours ago and I went back to Best Buy to pick up the TV. Had my son meet me there and took my daughter along for the ride.

Curses, but they were out of the specific TV I wanted. I decided to cut to the chase and just bought the thing. It'll come in next week, I'll pick it up and then, let the games begin.

Thanks all of you for your advice and other efforts. Time for dinner.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

You impulse shopper you

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Actually, in a way, I am...but not because I'm "wowed" by a product at the store. I prefer to do my research online (hence this thread) and then go to the store with my options narrowed down to a few. I'd also prefer to go to just a few stores but my wife had other plans. Ironically, she hates shopping too, but her way of doing research has to do with talking to sales people. I'm not really keen on that because sales people will say *anything* to make a sale. Customer reviews won't have the same bias.

Anyway, the deed is done. I particularly appreciate Phoenix's and TG's offers of assistance. I suppose if I'd have waited, I might have gotten a better deal, but we've been talking about getting a new TV literally for years. At various points, when discussing the budget with the missus, the time wasn't right. I think the desire to spend also requires a certain amount of psychological readiness as well. Now that my wife can't leave the subject alone (even when I'm trying to do other things), is the time to buy.

From what I've read, the set up of this TV is pretty easy. One question I do have is that, I've heard that in order to get the best out of playing DVDs on an HDTV, you need to connect the DVD player to the HDTV with an HDMI cable. Is this true? Also, is there anything else I am going to need? We watch DVDs the vast, vast majority of the time (although I was really impressed with the Blu-rays I saw at the stores).

Thanks again.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I'll bring my Blu Ray player over some time and we can watch something on your 1080p TV, my 720p plasma won't do it justice, can see how it really opens up ;)

HDMI would give you slight benefits, but not for most DVDs, only really for true hi def viewing
    it is however less cabling, than say, component + audio, and it carries a 5.1 audio signal if you have the speaker set up

DONT BUY A HDMI CABLE IN A STORE THOUGH
    the term Rape is an understatement

for the distance between a DVD player and the TV in most houses, you dont really need the $100 Monster HDMI cable, the $4 amazon cable should work just as well :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE