Reputation?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by cazzam35, Feb 27, 2005.

1. cazzam35

cazzam35 Kilobyte Poster

I've just noticed on my profile that I have;
    points of 37
    and power of 3?

Whats this mean? :dry

Certifications: currently doing A+/MCSE
    WIP: Curr/Supervisor/Duty Mgr/Retail DIY
  2. cazzam35

cazzam35 Kilobyte Poster

OK OK, Just ignore me, I really need to start to search before
    I open my big mouth, (I should be a woman)

The reputation system that comes with vbulletin is now enabled on the forums. you will notice the values in your posts under your avatars and also in your profiles.

What is the reputation system?
    The reputation system is very similar to the Karma system seen on other popular websites and forums (Slashdot.org, for example). Its purpose is to hopefully give users an idea of how respected, knowledgeable, helpful, gracious, etc., a person is.

How do I give reputation?
    There is a icon in each post. Click the icon, and a window will pop up allowing you to give reputation. Please leave a comment when giving reputation.

How much reputation can I give out? Are there any limits?
    There are a few limits in place to prevent minor abuse of the reputation system. Obviously there cannot be a flawless system, but these limits try to curb any intentional abuse. You must have 1 post in order for your reputation to count on other people. Everybody is limited to giving out 50 reputations per day.

Also: For every 200 days, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power. For every 100 posts, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power. For every 100 reputation, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

How do I see what reputation people have given me?
    If you go into your User CP (linked at the top of every page) you can see a list of the past 25 reputation points you have received.

Where can I see my reputation for a particular post?
    If you click the reputation icon on your post, a window will pop up with your current score for that individual post.

What do the green, red, and grey dots mean?
    A green dot indicates that you were given positive reputation. A grey dot indicates that the user gave you reputation, but it counted neither positive or negative due to them having no reputation power.

Why would reputation not count positive or negative?
    When a new user first starts out, their reputation does not count. There are a few factors that determine when their reputation should start counting. Some of those factors are the number of posts, the number of days they have been registered, and the number of reputation points that have been given to them.

When my reputation begins to count, do my grey dots then count?
    No, once a reputation value has been given (negative, positive, or neutral) the point values will never change retroactively. If you give a zero-point reputation, it will remain a zero-point reputation no matter how high or low your reputation point values become.

What are good and bad things to give positive reputation for?
    Reputation should be given to people who post meaningful, helpful, and thoughtful posts. Any post that contributes to the thread in a positive way probably deserves positive reputation. This does not mean that you agree with what was said; the point brought up may be completely opposite to what you believe, but it may be a good point nonetheless, and worthy of a pat on the back. Giving positive reputation to someone because they are your friend and deserve to have a few more green dots next to their name probably isn't a good reason to give positive reputation.

Do I have to take part in the reputation system?
    No, you may turn of the reputation system from the Options menu in the User CP here.

3. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

resorted to talking to yourself again Callum? :D

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  4. cazzam35

cazzam35 Kilobyte Poster

Well, at least this way I get some sense out of myself, and I
    seem to understand what i'm talking about???? Yeah right!

:rolleyes:

5. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

sometimes it's the only way to get some decent company

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Sounds like someone's been reading the "Jakamoko Book of Increasing your Post Count" :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

WTF is he on today :blink

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. cazzam35

cazzam35 Kilobyte Poster

Sorry guys, bit of a blonde moment :dry