replacement screen, help.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrtea, Mar 28, 2009.

1. mrtea

mrtea Bit Poster

im in a bit of a pickle.
    other week i managed to drop my four week old sony viao and then drop a cup of tea on top of the screen!

while it was still working, i had a few stains within the screen and a 3" panal of dark screen.

so i splash cash on a replacement screen. after replacing the screen i switch on and hear a little noise like an electric spark and the screen never shows any sign of life. after inspection i realise i didnt have the bottom connection in properly. after fixing this it still didnt work. so i put my old one back in and now this is completely dead as well!

have i damaged something else? could a loose connection have blown something? what next?

obviously im not too hot with hardware.

cheers for any advise.

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You may have... What kind of warranty did you go for when you purchased the laptop?

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. mrtea

mrtea Bit Poster

bought it from littlewoods direct with no extra cover. cant find much info on littlewoods policy but guess its only 12 months sony warranty.

4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

You could of short curcuited something... the best thing to do is to have it checked out by the sony repair shop.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. mrtea

mrtea Bit Poster

just called littlewoods and they just gave me sony helpline.

im guessing they will charge me more than the laptop is worth to repair.

6. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

the problem you have here is with accidental damage.. shame you didnt have any sort of insurance

you've most likely blown your fl inverter (80%)
    try to get somebody to test the screen\FL to see if it works.. - if it is the FL, it should cost you around £15-25 for replacement

otherwise it may be down to board level (quite unlikely) which on sony vaio's will be very expensive
    i worked for a notebook repair company for about a year ago and work on sonys was charged at 50/hour

best of luck mate!

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You dropped it, spilled a cup of tea on it and shorted out the screen connector. What's next, stomp it with a Dr Martin boot? :wink:

As this isn't a normal breakdown from component failure, rather it is a 'man made fault'. I would say anything is likely.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. mrtea

mrtea Bit Poster

cheers, i'll take it round a friends when i get chance and see if it works with monitor. i have a bad feeling about it.

cant believe ive been so careless with it, especially when i spent an entire 2 months figuring out the best deal i could get. as punishment for myself i've abstained from booze, fags and coffee for an entire week now. so at least some good has come of it.

9. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

Certainly after spilling a cup of tea on it, my first thought was the main board was toast, but who knows, good luck.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

This.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

I've seen similar to this before, where somebody has replaced a broken laptop screen and not routed the display cable properly into the base. Then, when opening the screen to a 120 degree angle, the cable has pulled loose on the connector and shorted the m/board.:blink

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  12. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

what role does an fl inverter do?

Certifications: HND Computer networking, 70-271
    WIP: A+
  13. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

A FL inverter handles the power for the backlight on your monitor.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  14. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

Hook the laptop up to an external monitor to check video is working to some extent.

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  15. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

:) cheers

Certifications: HND Computer networking, 70-271
    WIP: A+
  16. mrtea

mrtea Bit Poster

just to let you know i managed to buy a broken and stripped sony vaio for £1.20 on ebay. knowing that the inverter was compatible with mine, i switched and hey presto, it works fine.
    happy days

17. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

glad you got it working :D
    and at that price: good steal ;)

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)