Resolved Repetitive clicking sound on BIOS boot-up screen?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Magicarp, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Magicarp

Magicarp Bit Poster

Wow thanks for all the replies.

In spite of all that is sid, I think it is the KEYBOARD. My logic? Replaced keyboard with another one and will not make the quick repititive clicks on boot-up. Put the culprit keyboard back on and walla! clicky sounds again. Like I said maybe it is a stuck key? Thay keeps sending out a command to the mobo which is making the system clicky on boot-up. I don't think it sound like a HD click.

I am too lazy to go in there. I want to at least troubleshoot my keyboard first. It is a ancient PS/2 keyboard I purchased second-hand simply because it had buckling-spring (tactile) keys.

WOW! I think I might have it! The F11 key was jammed somehow (not very noticable). This was also causing this occasional annoying rapid full screen/normal screen toggle in firefox. I'm going to reboot see if this fixes it.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

That's weird. I've seen problems with stuck keys loads of times on keyboards, but its almost invariably a beep rather than a click that you hear. Also, if the key was stuck all the time your browsing would be (ahem) 'interesting' all the time, rather than - as you;ve alluded to - it being an intermittent thing. Certainly seems like you;ve found the culprit though!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Magicarp

Magicarp Bit Poster

FIXED. It was a stuck F11 key. My initial suspicion was correct.

Usually XP tells you about stuck-keys, this is what threw me off :rolleyes:

4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

glad you fixed it, dont forget to set the thread title prefix to 'Resolved' though.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. Magicarp

Magicarp Bit Poster

How do I do that? :oops:

6. Fergal1982

There should be an edit button on the bottom right of your first post. edit it and change the prefix from within there (I think).

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well the OP may not be able to edit the original post after all this time, so i changed it to *resolved* funny though it comes up in the listings as *sold*

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Fixed

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  9. Fergal1982

That is an issue with the time limits on editing posts. Presumably there is some method that allows the OP to change the prefix without editing their post?

10. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

So the sound was in fact coming from the PC speaker then (motherboard speaker).

Glad you found out where it came from.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM