Resolved Repetitive clicking sound on BIOS boot-up screen?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Magicarp, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Magicarp

Magicarp Bit Poster

Hello,

A new development on my PC (home built) is that on boot-up it makes a number of repetitive clicking sounds before booting up.

Everything seems to be working fine apart from that. It doesn't sound like a hard-drive noise but more like a system noise. I cannot be sure.

Anyone know what this might be? It has been since I have put a another keyboard on(old-school PS/2 one). But thats totally irrelevant I guess. If it was a stuck key then the BIOS would have bleeped and I think Windows XP alerts for stuck keys.

Cheers,
    Joe

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2009
  2. BDB2008

BDB2008 Bit Poster

If it goes beep beep beeep beeep beeep etc etc etc then is your RAM.

Google bios bootup tones for more info.

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

Certifications: Life Experiance count?
    WIP: MCSA MCSDT MCSE CCNA
  3. anto6ik7

anto6ik7 Nibble Poster

Hi,

Personally i would suggest to check memory. Take memory slots out and put it again. Do not put all. Sere how it works.

Another thing you could try is to take all external devices in your computer (sound, video, network card) and if it will stop making sound you know that something wrong is with external hardware.

Finally, i would recommend to reset Bios to default settings.

I hope something could help you.

Antons

Certifications: MCDST, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Nice diagnosis. Reducing every post error message to 'bad RAM'. You don't work in a PC repair shop by any chance, do you? :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, since its clicking not beeping, then I have some bad news for you. I have never heard anything other than a hard disk make a 'clicking' sound on boot - and that usually indicates the disk is either f***ed, or well on the way to being f***ed. If you can, grab every single piece of data you value off that drive ASAFP before it fails. Then find the drive manufacturer, download their diagnostic tools .iso, boot from it & run the drive tests.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. BDB2008

BDB2008 Bit Poster

Historically i've never heard a machine while going through the powerup process make a clicking noise so i made a comment that maybe, just maybe its not a clicking but could it be more plausable that it may be a low tone, hence beep explanation.

Don't be too quick to throw dirt into someone's credibilty, making assumptions or negative comments is nothing more than ignorant, arrogant and usually comes from someone who has pretty low self esteem.

6. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Would be the first computer I know of which makes a clicking noise as well... typically if it's a beeping noise, it would signal bad ram, poorly seated video card, and that kind of stuff.

A clicking noise could be made by a harddisk which is going (or gone) bad as was mentioned.

The only other clicking noise I can think of is a poorly grounded computer. I've known of a few computers which made faint buzzing or clicking noises during bootup, and reseating the various components helped to reduce this, as did moving cables around a bit (primarily moving speakers farther away from the PC itself and so on).

Even with entirely silent components (liquid cooled, no fans, heat pipes etc), some capacitors and motherboards in general make a very faint whining/buzzing sounds during some "procedure", although generally you hear these things better if it gets transmitted by the sound card cables to your speakers/sub woofer.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Actually its fairly common to hear a hard drive start to click before it chucks it. Eventually it will just click and not boot up whatsoever. I did manage to save one from a laptop by putting it in the freezer for 5 mins and then putting it back in. Got the data off the drive and then the laptop did a BSOD dance.

For beep codes it could be virtually anything hence why the beep code has to be checked out. If it was memory I thought it would throw an error when the PC is doing a memory scan.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Wind your neck in. You gave crummy advice. I corrected it. Move on and deal with it - or stop giving crummy advice. If I had a penny for every post I've seen on a forum where someone gave advice that was patent nonsense, I'd be a millionaire. Just because i corrected you, it doesn't make me (or you) a bad person.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  9. BDB2008

BDB2008 Bit Poster

No problem with my neck thankyou, where i had a problem was when a troll fires out negativity against a poster just because he she believes he or she is superior. Like i said ignorance.

10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Ignorance of what exactly? :biggrin

Seriously though lets keep this thread on the right track. :thumbleft

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yep most probably the hard drive although as said it could be the mobo shorting for some reason such as being screwed into the case without standoffs.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

He didn't "fire out negativity", nor did he post because he "believes he's superior". He posted to share the wealth of his experience regarding Magicarp's issue, as well as to let you know how you can improve your troubleshooting.

I, however, DO belive he's superior... not because he's better than you... but because he's right (and often is). There's no ignorance on his side, I can guarantee you. If you'd listen to him instead of being defensive, you just might learn something.

EDIT: There's only two things that could possibly "click" in a computer, and both have moving parts. Can you guess what they are?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Kings of Leon did a track.. hmm what was it called?
    anyway
    zeb for king!

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Are you saying that once it's booted up the clicking stops? If so, then that isnt consistent with a failing hard drive. :rolleyes:

unplug the speakers.. disconnect the internal beeper.. use a rolled up magazine, put one end to your ear and the other move around slowly inside the computer, and that will help you to pinpoint the source of the noise.

It could be anything with moving parts, like has been said, fans, drives are the obvious culprits.

I have yet to hear a capacitor make a clicking sound, though i have heard them hissing just prior to exploding with an impressive BANG! :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

WIIIINNAAAAAAARRR!!!!

EDIT: Hey! VBulletin! Quit automatically lowercasing my post! FAIL!!! :D

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

My first thought is the HD. I've had a couple of HDs in the past showing the same symptom.
    A few boots later they're toast.
    I'd back everything up asap to be on the safe side.
    Then I'd worry about what it actually was. if it isn't the HD, no harm done. If it is, phew! Caught it just in time.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  17. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Im with the others on this, either HDD or a fan, bluerinses suggestion on using the rolled up paper works a treat for finding the source.

Just a long shot here, i dont suppose you have some sort of RAID card in your new build do you? Ive got an adaptec card in mine and i get clicks off the 4 HDDs connected to that just after the POST screen as the drives are spinning up, this stops once booted up and running and seems to fit perfectly with the explanation of your problem.

Mick

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
    Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  18. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Clicking are usual hard drive problems, but check cables as well, just in case they're causing the sound :)

19. Meshan

Meshan Bit Poster

Crickets in your PC

Happened to me once

Although they are more of a chirping sound

Certifications: HCIMA, BIIAM, BSc (Hons),
    WIP: MCITP (70-622)
  20. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

You could disconnect the Hard drive(s) and power it up to see if the noise has stopped.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA