Repetition +1

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Naive, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

...but anyways, hi there! :D

I'm looking into switching into an I.T career and have read somewhere on the forum a guide for 'starting out'.
    Very informative! My plan is to study for A+,N+,MCDST and then hopefully land an entry level job as a DST, then the sky's the limit. I'll be doing this by self - studying, seeing that all the advice i've browsed throughout the forum, indicate this to be the most efficient and cost effective way to reach my goals.

Bit concerned about the 'no experience' thing though, I'm hoping that when i do get the above qualifications, that 6years customer service / clerical / telephony work will get my foot in the door.

I have plenty PMA and willpower and can take criticism on the chin. Does the above look good to go or should I change anything? Exciting thing is, is that i don't know where i'll be heading once i get my MCDST, all i know is that I love computers and realise how hard the next few years will be :)

WIP: MCDST
  2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

With so much customer experience you should be in a good position to get a helpdesk role, from this you can keep notes of the most common issues, and then focus on where your skills need to be, then the company will probably move you into a more technical support role (if you show the proficiency and just as important the willingness to learn).

While A+ and Network+ are good, i personally think anyone going to want to work supporting microsoft products should go for MCDST first, as phone support will more software and less hardware based, once you have MCDST then go for A+ and Network+ as you build on MS at work and general skills outside work in your fist 6-12 months in the field.

Good luck and Welcome

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

Your plan sounds like a sounds a well balanced way of going about things. Although you do not have to wait until you get those qualifications to get an IT job.

The A+,N+ and MCDST are basic qualifications that require very little or no experience so you could do them as you are doing a trainee job. Most people do start in a call center before moving up so your experience already will be beneficial.

Good Luck :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Just a quick comment, learning is fun, I enjoy nothing better than to prove how geeky I am to friends by showing them how to do subnetting and VLSM (yes i am sad) and looking at the blankness on their faces, but i learned that and its a great feeling having new knowledge.

Yes I.T can mean sacrifices if you want to move on up, but if you love IT the time will fly and you will enjoy it :)

your PMA should be saying that the next few years should be fantastic :)

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  7. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

Cheers for that, I think I'll do that then, go for MCDST first due to supporting MS products, and then expand from their out of work on other areas, whilst gaining MS knowledge at work like you said.

I've already applied for a a couple 1st line supp jobs, thinking I'd at least get an interview based on my customer service knowledge ( I could talk the pants off a nun), but no joy. Maybe I should keep applying or maybe wait until I get MCDST cert then start applying perhaps?

Or I could just go wild and get stuck into CCIE? lol..

8. PhoenixAngelique

PhoenixAngelique Byte Poster

welcome to CF

WIP: CIW Master Website Design Manager
  9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I would say keep applying but put on your CV that you are studying for the A+, N+ and MCDST. The reason I mention doing the A+ and N+ first is that both will give you a good grounding and prepare you for the MCDST.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, you should have no probs landing a helpdesk job once you get a couple of certs on your CV.

Best of luck! 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

Thanks for the welcome and advice guys. I have decided to do the MCDST first, I have ordered the MS Press release for 271 and I'll also get the CBT nuggets. I'll keep applying for 1st line jobs in the meantime and I've updated my CV to say I'm studying for MCDST, A+ & N+ (Cheers GBL)
    Was also checking prometric test centres, and there's one 5mile from me :D
    I understand it would be easier to pass the MCDST if I pass the A+ & N+ first, but as I'll be supporting MS products in first job, I chose to study MCDST first, and if it is too difficult, or I can't grasp it, I could always go back and do A+ N+ first.

12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Keep applying for jobs even before you're certified. When you get a certification, add it to your CV and keep applying.

Consider this: if you don't even try to apply, you're certain to not get the job.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

Will do! applied for about 5 so far, the only thing I'm worried about is that if i do get the job, I won't know enough to perform it well without certification :(

I'll keep throwing my CV out there regardless though, thanks for the advice!

14. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Good luck with the job hunt.

I'm also working on the A+. I think the Network+ will also be my next step. Although I'm not sure. On a personal level, I'd quite like the Linux+ (been tinkering with Mandriva, and Ubuntu for years). Or maybe Security+ as I am quite paranoid!

I guess that's the fun though, right?! Making your own path. For now we just gotta make that first leap.
    Good luck with the :study

See you around the forums.
    Welcome!

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Certification doesn't help you perform a job well; the knowledge (often gained while studying for a certification) is what helps you perform a job well. The certification itself is just to impress employers. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!