renew?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by gulbash, Dec 28, 2010.

1. gulbash

gulbash Nibble Poster

Hi, if i decide to do mcitp enterprise administrator, will i have to renew this certification? or is it a life time certification? Thanks.

Certifications: A+, Network +, 70-680, 70-640, 70-642
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

From what I understand, all of the MCTS and MCITP certifications are valid until support for the related product expires.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

That's right. The MCITP: Enterprise Administrator is for Windows 2008 and r2, however when the products' support ends your MCITP: Enterprise Administrator status will retire. If you want the equivalent version for the next product (eg Windows Server 8 ), then you'll have to get certified on that. Just like the MCITP: EST (for Vista) and the MCITP: ESDT7 (for Windows 7) the replacements for the MCDST.

Well until Microsoft changes their certification policy...

-Ken

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The certs do retire but you don’t (at this stage) need to recertify every 3 years like Cisco and (soon to be) CompTIA certs.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. gulbash

gulbash Nibble Poster

Would i have to retake the exams if i have to renew? Thanks

6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

renewing is retaking the exams. To renew a cert you have to do the exam again or in some cases like the compTIA ones if available there is a bridge exam but as far as I aware there is no Microsoft bridge exams so that means to renew your cert you have to re-do the exam(s).

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Kitkatninja

You would have to sit the newer MS exams that correspond to the next version of the MCITP/MCTS to stay certified. As Sparky said "The certs do retire but you don’t (at this stage) need to recertify every 3 years like Cisco and (soon to be) CompTIA certs."

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  8. Kitkatninja

While there are no bridge exams, MS do have upgrade exams. Sometimes you only need to do the upgrade exam, sometimes more than one is required (eg the upgrade exam, the pro exam and a MCTS exam).

-Ken

9. gulbash

gulbash Nibble Poster

And i guess microsoft will let me know which exams need updateing/ retaking? I recently completed the comptia A+ and net +. Thinking what to do now. Thinking about the security +, but the exams expensive, and if i do it i will have to renew every 3 years at another cost. So i think i will give comptia a little break, until i decide to do the sec +. Think i will give the mcitp enterprise administrator a go. What do u guys recommend i do? Thanks.

10. Kitkatninja

If the Sec+ is fiancially not viable at the moment, then yes, put it to one side until it is.

As for going for the MCITP: EA, imo, it really does depend on your level of experience in IT. Unless you deal with designing AD and working with servers, I'd forget about the MCITP: EA for now and start with the client exams. (This is based on your first post 3 months ago about failing the Network+.)

-Ken

11. gulbash

gulbash Nibble Poster

Can you post a link/s to recommended client exams?

12. Kitkatninja

Take your pick:

70-271 MCP Windows XP O/S Support(Half of the MCDST), available until June 30, 2011, credential will not retire
    70-272 MCP Windows XP App Support (Other half of the MCDST), available until June 30, 2011, credential will not retire

70-270 MCP: Windows XP, credential will not retire
    70-620 MCTS: Windows Vista, credential is subject to retirement.
    70-680 MCTS: Windows 7, credential is subject to retirement.

-Ken

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  13. gulbash

gulbash Nibble Poster

So i should probably tackle the 270, 271 and 272 in this order? Or the 271, 272 and then the 270?

14. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

You could go for the MCDST with the 271 & 272 but if I'm I am correct in the assumption that you are just starting out in your IT career and cert. track I wouldn't bother with the 70-270.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  15. gulbash

gulbash Nibble Poster

Can you recommend study material for the 271 and 272? And recommended exam engines for practice exams? Thanks.

16. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  17. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

Sybex has a book that covers both exams. Those exams have been around a long time so I'm sure you can find an abundance of information on training materials. I used transcender practice exams

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  18. gulbash

gulbash Nibble Poster

How good is ucertify for microsoft practice exams? I notice in this forum most people use transcender, measureup etc. I used ucertify for network +.

19. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Asking which is best would only be personal opinion although ucertify are at the bottom of the pile when it comes to any certs, why dont you download demos then you can make judgement for yourself which is the best.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?