Renaming Computer Accounts problem

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Meeker, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Meeker

Meeker New Member

As part of a simulation I am reorgansing the naming conventions on my network.

Previously the DC was called SERVER1 and my Domain Admin profile was stored as Administrator.SERVER1. I changed the DC computer name to DOMAIN1DC1.

The problem is my Domain Admin account is still using Administrator.SERVER1. This is confirmed in Windows Explorer under Documents and Settings. I have done several reboots.

How do I reflect the changes?

Certifications: MCSE NT4, 70-270
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I am no expert but I think you have to actually delete the account then create a new one.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

That depends what you mean by domain computer account. If you mean the machine computer account then no, renaming this will cause you problems.

If you mean the domain administrators User account, then yes you can rename this without causing any problems.

If you mean you want to rename the local profile then yes you can rename it.

4. popeye67

popeye67 Bit Poster

You can rename DC under certain conditions;

Is your DC win2003 ? then yes you should be able too (not the best practice in the world)
    Do you have CA installed ? If yes , trash the server and start again.
    If you can two ways of doing this : standard through system properties and netdom computername cli.

5. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

It's confusing the way you've worded the question. I suspect from the way you've put it that you've already changed the hostname of your DC and have renamed the domain admin account. However you're concerned that the local profile on the DC hasn't changed.

Is this a correct interpretation?

If so you can just rename it. These accounts aren't linked by name but by their Security Identifier (SID).

6. Meeker

Meeker New Member

Hi folks,

To be clearer (appologies!)....

I renamed the computer name. The computer is the only DC for a small testing network of 2003 Server.

The Administrator account for the server and the domain wants to use the old server name i.e. Administrator.SERVER1. However, I want it to give the new server name i.e. Administrator,DOMAIN1DC1.

The reason I have done the rename is so that I can create naming conventions. I want to do some sims with multiple DC's and domains.

Hope that helps....

7. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

If it's the name of the profile you want to change (as seen in Windows explorer) then just change the name of the folder to what you want. I assume you can still logon to the domain/server using the administrators account?

As mentioned above, it is the GUID of the account that is used to authenticate to the domain and NOT the name of the profile.

When you change the name of the server it will not change the name of the folders that store the user profiles because these have no bearing on how the users authenticate. You could call the profile whatever you like, it doesn't matter. The name of the folder to store the profile is usually just named to match the account name of the user, or with the domain suffix if an account of that name already exists.

HTH

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You will need to be logged on with a different account when you make the change as the profile will be in use when you try to make the change. Probably best to reboot and log on with a different account to do this.

Rename the old cached profile (put .old at the end of the folder name). Log on with the administrator account and a new profile will be created with the correct naming conventions. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. Meeker

Meeker New Member

Thanks to everyone who gave advice. This is what I did:

1. Logged on with another administrative account.
    2. I renamed the account and put .OLD next to it.
    3. Then I logged off and logged on as the Administrator. It created a new profile.
    4. I logged off the Administrator account and re logged on as the other administrative account.
    5. I copied the contents of the .OLD profile into the recently created profile.
    6. I logged off and logged on as the Administrator account. It took the contents of renamed profile fine.

Thanks again. I have another question which I will post shortly.
    Cheers, Meeker.