Rename your Windows 2003 domain

Discussion in 'Active Directory Exams' started by Sparky, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Just done this..............

............on my lab domain controller! :biggrin

I remember being asked to rename a Windows NT domain a few years ago which was not an option. Even if it was there was no way whatsoever I was going to do it!

Just wondered if anyone has had to do this on a live domain? If so, how much did you brick it after rebooting the DC? :biggrin

Link
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/bb405948.aspx

P.S worth doing this in a lab setup for the 70-294 btw 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I think I'd be bricking it even doing it in a test lab!

i dread to think what would happen if DNS was flaky in your environment - for instance, what the hell would happen to all the FSMO roles if something went tits up halfway through?

I'm not sure I'd ever have the cojones to go through with this in the real world - unless it was in a small environment - say 20 users - with all their data backed up and a bank holiday weekend to do it in case a completely new domain was needed.

I think its fantastic that MS offered this in 2K3 though - it was something that people had been asking for for a long time, and is proof that, at least occasionally, Redmond actually listens to its customer base :rolleyes:

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em