Removing cd and floppy drives from VMs

Discussion in 'VMware Certifications' started by Beerbaron, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

We have ~100 VMs with a large majority being clones as they run similar apps and configuration. I have noticed that most of them have a CD and floppy drive still attached. Would it be best practice to remove these as they are not used?

Thanks.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I generally leave CD ROM's attached for the purpose of mounting ISO's etc.

In relation to the Floppy Drive, if you remove this from the hardware of the VM, it still shows up in Windows. You need to reboot the VM and go into the BIOS. This article explains it VMware KB: Unable to remove the floppy device in the Windows virtual machine

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
    Beerbaron likes this.
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I personally remove things like floppy drives, parallel ports, etc.. if I don't use it. Like Craigie, I also keep the CD-ROMs.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

yes your better off removing the parallel ports etc which tbh is all just fluffing as far as thats concerned. p2ving and tidying up the old hardware fair enough requires a certain amount of work but for new clean vm's.... Meh I'd leave that job until you have nothing else to do one day!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

I had noticed that there wasn't a floppy drive listed in the VM settings so assumed it would need disabling in the BIOS. I think I might have to leave it for the time being as I'm sure I could be doing something more productive.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP