Remove Progs!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by kat731, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Kat,

Seems good to me. I would love to know why it dissapeared in the first place? :blink There isn't any spyware lurking around is there?

Don't forget to either file.....export registry...select the path where you want to save your current config or to use system restore. :biggrin

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

OK. Try using msconfig to find, extract, and replace the existing appwiz.cpl file then. It sounds as if it is corrupted.

Did you try any of the registry hacks in the link I gave. There were bunch of them for things very similar to what you are experiencing.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

wanna post a screenshot?

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  4. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi all,

no spyware, dont suffer with that, see enough on fixes!!!!!!!!! Gav, still same in both. Omni, was doin a screenshot yest, but got sidetracked, will do. ffree, how do i do that? when into msconfig, but you'll have to help me a bit more...
    Thanks u lot.
    Kat

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  5. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

The same all the way through!!!!!
    Kat

Attached Files:

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

:ohmy :eek: :ohmy :blink :rolleyes:

Never Ever seen that before! :eek:

7. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

is it only norton that this affects kat?

i think i read about something along these lines and its some kind of protection update or summat. i'll go have a look and get back to ya.

p.s i take it you're not actually trying to get rid of norton? just asking about where the options have gone because there is quite a lot of programs to fully un-install norton. :biggrin

p.p.s have you tried to show hidden files/folders?

p.p.p.s found this, its a small downloadable file which fixes your add/remove but you have to merge it with your registry :eek: which im not sure how to do!!

HERE ya go.
    good luck,hope it works for you kat. :p

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. ffreeloader

Kat,

I don't run XP, and 2K Pro doesn't have msconfig, so I did this on Server 2003 so there may be a couple of small differences.

Open msconfig by typing msconfig in the "run" window and hit enter.

On the General tab, down at the bottom is a button called Expand File. Click it.

Where is says "File to Restore" browse to your corrupted appwiz.cpl file or just type in appwiz.cpl.

Where it says "Restore from" is where things get a little tricky. msconfig always looks for .cab files to expand files from but on 2003, and I'm not sure about XP because I don't have it, the appwiz.cp_ file wasn't found in a .cab file. In 2003 I had to find appwiz.cp_ and manually enter the path to it (mine was D:\Server 2003\i386\appwiz.cp_). If the XP cd isn't arranged the same it may have the appwiz.cpl file in a .cab file. You'll just have to look and see in the i386 folder on the cd. Then just expand file to someplace on your hard drive that you'll be able to easily find by clicking on the expand button after you have typed the path to where you want to expand the file to. Once you have it expanded I'd try it to see if it works correctly by right clicking and and choosing to open it with the control panel. If it works correctly then just move it into the system32 folder and replace the existing file with it.

You can tell if the file has been expanded by the size. The compressed file is around 160-170 KB. The expanded file is around 450 KB. You may have to rename it also as it Server 2003 left it as appwiz.cp_. Just rename it to appwiz.cpl.

10. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

have you tried logging in as another user? tried creating a new admin user if you can so its a fresh login
    try then

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Just as a FYI, Freddy (in case you didn't know, which I doubt), you can copy msconfig.exe from an XP system onto a 2k box, and it runs fine. I did a small article on this a while back - it's up top somewhere :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  12. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

can you post a screenshot with one of the programs highlighted (like, click on one of the prog names).

13. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Ok.................
    Ryan, created another Admin user, still the same.
    ffree, followed youre instructions no problem, still the same..................
    Also, alot of my installed programs arent on there anyway... but iv read thats common..
    Think im gonna have to live with it..
    Just like to know why really, oh well, never mind. Thanks everyone!
    Kat

14. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

For Omni.........
    Kat

Attached Files:

15. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Sorry if it's been mentioned before, but have you tried temporarily removing Norton, Kat ?

16. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Why Gav? dya think it could make a difference?

Kat

17. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

thanks

18. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Can do no harm - just a thought. As mentioned above - it looks so like something has removed that part of the Add/Remove process, and whilst I've never heard of Norton doing this, I wouldn't rule it out of any tech problem !!! :biggrin

19. ffreeloader

Well, it doesn't work on 2K servers. I haven't tried it on my 2K pro box as I've never needed it, but I downloaded the XP msconfig before I posted here and tried to run it on one of my 2K servers and it would not run correctly. Trying to use the "expand file" button made it hang every time I tried to browse to a file.

The Server 2003 msconfig won't run on a 2K server either. It errors out on not having some required system hook. I don't remember what it is, but it was definitely some system call that 2K doesn't use.

20. ffreeloader

Kat,

Did you run "regsvr32 appwiz.cpl" (without quotes) from the run prompt as was shown in the link I gave? You never responded to the post so I'm not sure if that failed.