remotely telnet to a router

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by slipned, Sep 20, 2011.

1. slipned

slipned Bit Poster

Hi all,

quick question, not sure if im missing something here on how to remotely telnet to a router?, just bought me a lab, got the routers switches yar yar..
    Ok so I configure the router via the console port to begin with using commands like no shutdown, password,etc, set up the ip address so everything is hunky dory, im gonna use PuTTy to connect from my pc.
    so when i take the cable out the router and remotely try and connect... what do I do? have I missed something?
    I havent had a go yet, but just wondering how these two are gonna communicate without a cable? or am I just being just plain stupid??

2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I am assuming you're talking about cisco equipment? if that's the case you'll need to configure the virtual terminal on the switch/router to be able to connect to telnet. You'll need to use the line vty command from the global config to configure a password. Without the password, you cannot telnet to the switch/router. You'll also have to give VLAN1 an IP address... through this IP address you will telnet to the switch to manage it. You will need to be connected to the switch or router in one way or another in order to telnet to it.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
    Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

You'll definitely need a cable for it to work. :p Here's an example

- Configure your management VLAN interface, and default gateway

configure terminal
    interface VLAN 1
    ip address 192.168.1.10 255.255.255.0
    no shutdown
    !
    ip default-gateway 192.168.1.1 <--- your router's IP address

- Configure vty lines:

configure terminal
    line vty 0 4
    password <telnetpassword>
    login

Then, on your computer, try pinging the VLAN 1 interface.
    If IP connectivity is OK, you should be able to now telnet into the device...
    Just open up PuTTY, enter your switch's IP and choose Telnet as the protocol.

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  4. slipned

slipned Bit Poster

thank you so much guys, yes it is cisco equipment im using, so then if it has to be coneected via cable to telnet or ssh why would you bother? whats the benfit of doing it this way and not just going through the normal console way from com1?

Im getting confused :blink

5. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

It just needs a network connection... That's why there are 24/48 ports on a switch, to put cables in.

You'll definitely want to Telnet/SSH to a device on a live network, unless you really like to walk/run/drive around a lot.

Telnet output is a lot quicker than the serial output on your COM port too.

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  6. slipned

slipned Bit Poster

ok thats great thanks simon