Remote Support Solution Providers....

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by ximaginex, Apr 26, 2010.

1. ximaginex

ximaginex Bit Poster

Hi All,
    I'm guilty of spending ages reading all the post's on the website and find it so informative but never contribute anything (Sorry!) :D

Anyway I'm trying to do some research as I'd like to implement a remote support solution within our company, I started doing some reading and have used a number of different products in the past but figured I could ask the general users of CertForums and see what they would recommend or not recommend……

We have a number of contractors that don’t work within the office and its becoming more and more problematic to support them without taking control of the machine remotely. I have used the big players such as Webex and GoToAssit in the past and these seem great, however they come at a price. Given today’s economic climate I wanted to know if there were other solutions that were cheaper that do the same job that you guys had used and would recommend. I’m not trying to get out of the leg work of trying different products but sometimes using these products in a “demo” environment give a very different result than using them in real life situations.

Anyway any suggestions/thoughts would be welcome.

Cheers Ian

Certifications: MCSA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: MCSE
  2. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

RealVNC/UltraVNC, PcAnywhere (Symantec) or just plain old remote desktop :)

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

we use Radmin here - It seems fine enough (although it doesnt appear to support multiple monitors).

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

not sure about your budget, but i think Logmein rescue is about £700 per year for a single technician license.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Why not implement Remote Assistance via the RDC client? unlike Remote Desktop, Remote Assistance will allow you to ghost a session allowing you to see what's happening with the user.

And it's free.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Teamviewer, NTRSupport, Mikogo, GotoMeeting:support (or whatever its support product is called)

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  7. ximaginex

ximaginex Bit Poster

Thanks all for your replies I'm busy reading them all. l think a lot of them are the same things just re-badged for different vendors! :oops:

8. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

+1 for remote assistance, I'm assuming these contractors are road warriors are they? I would imagine that RA if it works with your setup would be the easiest thing to do.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  9. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I use GoToAssist(my own personal account) and it costs me £375 per year, well worth every penny.

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  10. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I actually never people were using so many different ones, I thought most places used PCanywhere and VNC etc.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  11. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

+ 1 for team viewer, very good on lower bandwidth connections.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  12. madman045

madman045 Kilobyte Poster

Another one for Teamviewer, supports both PC and Mac and the upgrade costs for new versions isnt too bad either.

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, PRINCE2 Foundation, VCA-DCV & VCA-DT
    WIP: MCSA 2008, VCP5-DCV, ITIL V3
  13. trebor_88

trebor_88 Byte Poster

+1 for remote assistance

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCITP:EDST, MCTS:7
    WIP: VMware VCP 5, MCSE and CCNA
  14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I used Dameware internally at my last job - it worked very well. I currently use CrossLoop for remote customer support.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. UncleBeard

UncleBeard Nibble Poster

In the office we use Ultra/Real-VNC for users' machines and RDP for the servers.

At home I use Logmein Free to support family and friends.

Certifications: MOS 2003, 2007 and 2010, Master 2003, 2007 and 2010, MMI 2003, MCT, ITIL Foundation
  16. ximaginex

ximaginex Bit Poster

Thank you everyone for all your posts, some of the products I have used or read about but other such as "Radmin" and "CrossLoop" are new to me so I will certainly give them a go. I know some people have mentioned using Remote Assistance via the RDC client, the only problem is some of the users are not necessarily using windows based machines and I want a product thats idiot proof and they can simply click on the invite and I can take control. Probably should have mentioned this bit in the original post...!
    Thanks again all for all your help. Still great to see how helpful people are its a great forum.

17. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Depends on your budget, but we're using 2 TeamViewer Premium licenses (2 of us in the company so each of us has one).

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
    WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  18. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Other thing with team viewer is that they do an iphone client so if you have one you can never be away from work.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012