remote support - career advice please

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by generic_eric, Nov 1, 2011.

1. generic_eric

generic_eric Bit Poster

hi all, ive been looking for advice on this topic but cant find any so im hoping someone can help.

currently, i am completing my IT degree with the OU and work in a school, was planning on doing my ICT teaching qualification in the next year of so but not so sure now.

i have a good knowledge of IT and would consider myself at the same level as first line support, i have worked in this role for several months previously to taking this role in school.

i already connect to my families computers remotley to fix any problems and keep everything update and im starting to think that i would like to do this full time. however i would like to work remotley, using software like "logmein rescue" to connect.

does anyone already do this kind of work, in particularly working from home?

i have no certs as yet, but am willing to do obtain as many as needed.

thank you in advance

Eric

2. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Not something i've really heard of people doing, but I suspect that is for a reason.

If I was a home user for example who knows little about IT, then that tends to come with a fear of all things virus and hacking. I would therefore be a little worried about the motives behind this if I was to see an advert offering remote in support to my personal computer etc.

I would expect you may find it hard to build a client base and to get trust in what you are offering. May not be the case but that's just my opinion.

When people ring their usual helpdesks etc it's different, as it's from an established company that already knows your details etc, I'm not sure how you would get your company established enough to gain that same trust.

Hope all that made sense! lol.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Take a look at crossloop.com sounds like something similar to what you want to do, not sure how you would effectively drive traffic to your profile though.

You'll probably have a hard time making any reasonable money fixing home users pc's remotely. Most users know friends who can have a go or if things get really desperate they take it to PC World (shudder)!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Don't bother wasting your time, there really is no money in this. A few years ago I started a website offering the same kind of service (although I was offering onsite visits primarily). I splashed out on the webhosting, software (I didn't know about Wordpress at the time so purchased software from Serif), sim card and business cards. I spent a couple of days walking around the neighbourhood posting said cards through peoples letterboxes.

In all I would say I probably posted between 500 - 1000 cards.

Out of all of that money and time I had a total of 2 calls from all of the advertising\business cards, certainly not enough to cover what I have since spent on hosting etc, let alone make a living from it.

Unfortunately the time of making money working from home with IT has passed because so many people 'know' computers. Heck even my 4 year old son knows computers.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    Bluerinse and dales like this.