Remote Registry

Discussion in 'Networks' started by steveh2001, Sep 14, 2006.

1. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Hi Guys!

My first post here - (not on CF - just this forum :D) Delving into the world of networking...

First question - At work, when we use a domain, you can run regedt32.exe and connect to a remote registry by computer name, same with computer management and event viewer. Now this seems to work OK because i have admin permissions i think, so I can open the registry and view a few reg keys etc. But i wanted to replicate this on my workgroup at home. I have 2 PC's set up, linked via a wireless router.

Now what i dont understand is, if im logged on on the upstairs PC - i assume i need admin rights to be able to remotely connect to the downstairs registry, via the computer name method. Im logged on to an account upstairs, so how can i be logged onto another account to have downstairs admin rights? Or how can i setup my upstairs PC account to have admin rights for the downstairs PC :blink :blink :blink

Hope this makes sense! I can connect to the remote registry OK, but it wont open the hives - just comes up with a permission error!

Many thanks for any info

Certifications: A+,N+,CommVault,MCSA/MCSE 2003,VCP 4.1.
    WIP: ?
  2. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Sorry ive posted twice!

Dont think i can delete the other one :S

3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

steve - your lucky i haven't kicked you in the nuts for double posting... The only reason i have let you off is cuz thats a bloody good question! hmmm, would like to know the answer aswell...

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Steve, I have deleted the duplicate thread for you.

Do you have the same local administrators username and password on both the boxes?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. phonics3k

phonics3k Nibble Poster

Hey all,

This should be the answer your looking for :D

Click Start > Run > Regedit > File > Connect Network Registry...

Then in the box type "Admin@WORKGROUP\COMPUTERNAME" with out quotes.

Admin being the account on the computer with admin priviledges.

Workgroup being the workgroup the remote computer is on.

ComputerName being the name of the computer that you wanna access.

So for my laptop its James@P3K\LAPTOP

Hope that helps :D

EDIT: Dont forget that on the remote computer that they have to have "Remote Registry service" turned on :D

Certifications: None As Yet
    WIP: MCTS: 70-536 & 70-526
  6. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Very sorry for the dupe post cheekmaster! I accidently clicked submit twice:oops:

Thanks for the replies guys - i will give it a go and let you know the result!!

7. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Ok i cant get it to work :(

I created a new account on the downstairs PC, in computer management users, called Steve, then i went to the groups, administrators, and added in Steve, I set the password to never expire. Also we dont have a password on the main admin/user account on that PC.

I then came up to the other PC and tried

Steve@(Workgroup name)\(Downstairs PC name)

And it brings up a password/credentials box - i enter the details - and it says an object (computer) with the following name cannot be found: "Steve@(Workgroup name)\(Downstairs PC name)" As per above

My account on the upstairs PC is called Steven, not Steve, but i guess this cant have anything to do with it as im using the other account :S

8. phonics3k

phonics3k Nibble Poster

Has "Steve" got a password assigned to it?

try just Steve@(Downstairs PC Name)
    OR (Downstairs PC Name)\Steve

I will check Group Policys on my Admin now just to make sure he has the same as a default and that I aint changed anything without thinking :S

EDIT: Maybe this link will help abit while I wait to get my laptop that I left down my aunties: http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-1035_11-5173421.html#

9. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Cheers Phonics!

Those two didnt seem to work :( They still cant find an object :S

"Steve", the new account on the downstairs PC - does have a password. The PC i use (upstairs) doesnt have a password on it, but i guess that doesnt matter

Ill have a read of the link

10. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Well looked at the link - and checked out the downstairs PC's permissions in the registry key that it mentions - its got administrators in, which "Steven" is a member of, so no point adding them in individually - also the administrators have full control :S

Also - found on the select computer dialogue box - there is an example bit which mentions the things you suggested, but they only mention domains, not workgroups :S

11. phonics3k

phonics3k Nibble Poster

I only have a workgroup setup in my home and it works fine between my laptop and main PC, this is a little strange?!

Are both the PC's WinXP Pro?

12. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Yea their both XP pro - only other difference i can think of, is when you run "control userpasswords2" the option "users must enter a username/pw" is Unticked on the PC im trying to conenct to (although we do have the steven account with a PW). Also - you can resolve the computer name when u try and connect to it, so dont think theres a connection problem