Remote Laptop Users Passwords

Discussion in 'Software' started by jvanassen, Jun 5, 2013.

1. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Hi,

We have a number of users who have domain accounts and laptops. They are always on and off the network and we try to tell them to make sure they are plugged into the network when it comes to changing there password. A small minority however struggle with this and end up changing there password through OWA or Sharepoint and then have there old password still cached on there laptop.

Then when the time comes that the user plugs back into the network, im not sure how but they always end up locking there account and end up requiring a password reset. My understanding of this is for the time they are off the network they will need to remember two passwords, there new one for sharepoint/owa and then there old one which is cached on the laptop. Then when the time comes that they plug the laptop back into the network they should enter there new password (not the cached one) as they are authenticating with AD.

I was just wondering how you guys deal with this situation in your environments? I understand you can update your laptops cached password over VPN however the users we have this problem with dont use VPN.

We are coming to a point with our company where we believe alot more users will be coming off the network and using a cache password on the laptop etc so i just wanted to research how other people deal with this, isit just a case of telling the user how it is and to stop being special lol. Or is there a method to this simple problem?

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101