Remote Desktop

Discussion in 'Software' started by dmarsh, Dec 8, 2009.

1. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Is there any way to control how the rendering of the Remote Desktop happens so that the Target machines video card does the rendering and the image is transferred to the client ?

Many thanks

Dave

2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Wouldnt that be horrendously inefficient? The app would need to pass the data to the GFx for processing, then take it back in order to package it up for network transport to the other machine, where it would have to be passed to its GFx (after all, you cant get to the monitor/output device without traversing through the GFx. At that point it would likely be rerendered by that card.

Not to mention that thats a hell of a lot of data to be passed through the network connection for even a seconds worth of screen as I understand it. I'm not entirely sure how RD manages it at the moment, but I would imagine it uses some sort of logic to keep the data being sent to a minimum. Rendering the screen on the host would almost certainly make this impossible.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well as I understand it X Windows and Terminal Services support a variety of rendering modes.

Yes rendering on the target would be less efficient, however blocks of the image could still be sent instead of the whole image, also frame dropping could be used. I'm also not that concerned about RD rendering speed, as long as its usable, I would be accessing the machine using my Wireless G LAN.

In certain situations the applications probe/enumerate the hardware, in which case you want the program to run on the correct graphics card even if connecting by remote desktop.

Apparently VNC does what I want, thanks anyway.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  4. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

yep !

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  5. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

You want to remote to your home computer from work and play games. Don't you? :biggrin

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Ah I see what you mean. Fair point.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present