Remote Desktop Query

Discussion in 'Software' started by Alex Wright, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Is it possible to limit Remote Desktop sessions to 1, and if so, how?

Thanks,

- Alex

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Not quite sure what you mean but if you're talking Xp and concurrent sessions have a look at :

http://sig9.com/articles/concurrent-remote-desktop

and :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924927

and this would imply the limit is one anyway :

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/...esktop-connections-or-sessions-in-windows-xp/

which may be of help :)

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I personally don't know if this can be done via using remote desktop but you can try checking MS technet to see if there is any articles etc.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I thought that Remote Desktop sessions by default are limited to one e.g.

You connect to your PC at home, and another tries to connect then you are locked out or they are. As the principle behind this technology is you are actually logged onto the computer as if you where physically there.

Terminal Server allows multiple connections to the same PC, but you require multiple licenses to achieve this.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

XP Pro has a built in utility called "Remote Desktops" in which you can set-up connections to multiple servers. Me and my colleagues use this feature regularly. If one of them's working on a server and I then try to connect, it will boot him/her out ending his/her session. Great! But, if he/she's connected to a server and I RDP to it by typing "mstsc" into Start | Run, two sessions will then be running and effectively we're both connected to the server at the same time. This CAN sometimes be handy but recently we've experienced instances of software conflicts, largely due to the fact that we've been making configuration changes at the same time. Is there a way that I can stop the RDP session from connecting if someone else is connected to the server using "Remote Desktops?

All help appreciated.

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642