Remote Desktop Ports...!

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by Jellyman_4eva, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Hi all,

I am just trying to get this all sussed... started looking at Remote Desktop, and also got a bit sidetracked and started fiddling with Remote Desktop Web connection...

Anyways this is a pure theory question...

For example, I have a home computer and a work computer... I would like to access the home computer from work.

I enable the Remote Desktop on the home computer, and port forward port TCP 3389 from my home router to the home computer.

I then go to work, and attempt to remote home.... all good.....

All of the above information is available anywhere online... my question is, do I need to do anything on the work network to be able to receive the replies from the home computer... how does this all work and also what port does it return on??

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

You shouldn't need to do anything with your work computer.

My understanding of Remote Desktop is that it works purely on port 3389, so presumably it will return on the same port?

What you need to do though is make sure that your home PC has a Public IP address and can be seen.

8)

3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks for that Simon, but one little niggle. How do I get the IP address from my PC when I'm at work? I take it I would need to set up an account at someplace like dyndns.org ?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. FAT36

FAT36 Bit Poster

Hi,

Remote desktop is ok, but for more features try http://www.logmein.com

We use it at work to maintain our remote clients, there's a free version too. Saves all the fiddling about with dynamic IPs, opening ports etc, as it uses port 443.

WIP: A+
  6. Jellyman_4eva

It is this that I am asking about...

By saying this you are therefore implying that there will be inbound traffic heading towards the work computer on 3389... therefore the work firewall also needs to have port 3389 open?

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
  7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Yep. 8)

8. Jellyman_4eva

Could solicited traffic be the answer...

Where a firewall watches the conversation, and obviously sees me going out towards the home machine, and then when the home machine responds it allows it through because it knows I have requested it..!!

Maybe..

Still curious to know if the reply from 3389 is on 3389 or a random...

Anyone know?

9. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Remote desktop always connects to the remote machine on tcp port 3389, but the remote machine will choose a dynamic port for return traffic. This is true for most applications. I can't think of any applications off the top of my head that use the same return ports as they do to listen....

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1