Remote Desktop Help

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by SolidSponge, May 2, 2007.

1. SolidSponge

SolidSponge Bit Poster

Hi Guys.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, not sure where to put it?

Having a problem logging onto my Server 2003 machine via Remote Desktop. I can log on as admin ok, but when I try to log on with any other user account that belong to Domain Users Group I keep getting the following message...

"You do not have access to log onto this session"

Originally I was getting "The local policy does not permit you to logon interactively" message. I managed to sort this by adding the Domain Users Group to the "allow logon through Terminal Services" Policy on the Default Domain Policy.

What’s weird also is that if I access the Default Domain Policy through Administrative Tools the policy has loads of policies defined, but if I access the Domain Policy through Active Directory Users and Computers (My AD server, server01) the same policies are all set to not defined, even though Group Policy tab shows that the Default Domain Policy is being used!?

Can anyone point me in the right direction as I'm tearing my hair out here! :(

Certifications: A+, MCP (70-270)
    WIP: 70-290
  2. nicolinux

nicolinux Byte Poster

The right policy is "Domain controller securuty policy", if you need
    to log on a DC
    Nico

Certifications: mcse win2k3, mcts x4. mcitp enterprise admin
    WIP: 70-680
  3. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

And you need to add the group that contains the users you want to log on to the server, to the servers local Remote Desktop group via Computer Management> Local Users and Groups.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Are you logging onto a Domain Controller through TS? If so you need to edit the default domain contoller policy.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. SolidSponge

SolidSponge Bit Poster

Yes I'm logging on to the DC with Remote Desktop (TS). The default domain policy has been edited to enable me to do this, but I still can't log on with domain user accounts.

Certifications: A+, MCP (70-270)
    WIP: 70-290
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

:biggrin :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs