remember this

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by zxspectrum, Feb 7, 2007.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Some of you may know ive been trying to get a wireless setup on a router etc, and im still on with it as the people have been away etc. Anyway im back on woth it now and im still struggling.

The computer doesnt recognise what router it is for a start. Im using a netgear dg834g but when i look at newtwork connections it tells me that im using an Intel Pro/100 VE network connection. Im guessing that this is because im connecting via ethernet, but this is stopping me looking into the routers bits and pieces etc to find out what my network key is etc.

Looking at the back of the router i have an asdl line in ,4 LAN ports, a restore factory settings pinhole a power point and then the wireless antenna. There is no actual connection to the computer except for ether net. So what do i do now????

Eddie.:oops:

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

It won't. It will only show connected hardware, not remote hardware.
    Correct - that is the type of ethernet 'card' you have. It won't stop you looking at the info on the router.

Find out what the IP address is of the router, and enter that into the browser address bar. It will probably ask for a username and password. If this has never been changed it will be in the manual. If not either ask the owners what it is, or reset the whole router. Only do a reset if nothing else works - there may be other settings in there that are needed.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I should add that reseting the router will remove the login info for AOL - so only do this if nothing else works.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

The IP address should show up as the gateway in an ipconfig command.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

For that router, the IP to type in browser is 192.168.0.1. Username is admin, password I can;t quite recall, but something obvious like <blank>, pass, password, letmein, admin, or adm1n - you get the idea !!

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Patch in, run ipconfig /all from the command line. You should have an IP in the 192.168.0.x range.

Put http:\\192.168.0.1 in a web browser. Log in with 'admin' as the username and 'password' as the password.

If this doesnt work then it looks like the default setup of the router has been changed. You can use the pinhole at the back to reset the modem but as said you will have to put the ADSL username and password back in.
    8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Cheers for that people, ill be having a go again tomorrow ill keep you all posted

Eddie

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680