Remember remember

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Josiahb, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Yes Ladies and Gents, its one of the only times of the year that we can indulge in pyromania and a desire to blow things up without getting funny looks :twisted:

So whos off watching what displays this evening? I know plenty of places are holding of till the weekend but my office are setting up for our display this evening, we've got the space in the garden so it seems silly not too!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Courtesy of newsarse.com :

UK set to celebrate night of home grown terrorism

The UK is preparing to celebrate an evening of great British terrorism by burning effigies of Guy Fawkes, the country’s most famous terrorist, on bonfires the length and breadth of the country.

As the world cringes from the threat of global terror organisations, the UK will enjoy a night spent extolling the virtues of Guy Fawkes, the man who invented the very genre of domestic terrorism.

“Al Qaeda think they invented blowing stuff up?” said one bonfire party planner.
    “Not a chance. We Brits were planning world-class explosions four hundred years ago while they were still living in caves, well, worse caves.”
    “Even now they haven’t found a good way of doing it without blowing themselves up at the same time, the bloody amateurs.”

Failure

However, not everyone is planning to spend tonight celebrating the life of Guy Fawkes by burning through fifty quid’s worth of thoroughly disappointing pyrotechnics.
    James Noble, who is planning to spend the night in front of the television, told us, “Isn’t it just typical of the Brits to celebrate a glorious failure?”
    “It’s just like the country fawning all over Frank Bruno and Tim Henman, except this bloke rubbish at blowing things up rather than rubbish at sport.”
    “These idiots with the really big fires and expensive fireworks are basically mocking Guy Fawkes for failing, by showing him that THIS is what a proper explosion looks like.”
    “It’s a bit like celebrating this glorious recession with ostentatious displays of wealth. Yet no-one seems to think that’s a good idea, apart from bankers.”

Historians have pointed out that one of the main benefits of this evening is the fact that everyone will once again realise just what a truly excellent idea blowing up Parliament with everyone inside, actually is.

Now that last point is a good 'un ! :p

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. Mr.Kamwah

Mr.Kamwah Bit Poster

Use to go to the RAF one every year at the local base which was always a good laugh and dissapointment at the same time (me being about 10y/o) Meh, i couldnt care less.

WIP: A+
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It's just another day when normal people get lynched into providing money or treats to little scratters.
    In the old day it was 'penny for the guy', now they're knocking doors and it's £1 for the guy - and they don't even bother with the guy any more.

It's also an opportunity for the health and safety types to give themselves an annual hard-on.

The firework code gets longer every year and is no longer a list of 10 bullet points on the side of a box of sparklers, it's going to end up a bound tome issued by the TSO.

I heard them read out today (several times) on the radio.
    One of them was 'wear tight fitting clothing'.
    It's November for god's sake - I'm not lighting fireworks in a wetsuit!

I swear the list is more complicated than the one they give to the army.
    'Never run with a hand grenade'
    'When setting the timer on plastic explosive, make sure only one person is responsible for setting it to avoid confusion'
    'Never pick up a live mortar shell after it has been fired'

Anyway, as I sit here now I can hear the intermitent and feeble squeals and pops from around the villiage, which will continue until Sunday.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  7. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Well Dazza, that game just cemented our damp Mancunian lives .... :cry:

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  8. Mr.Kamwah

Mr.Kamwah Bit Poster

I can hear them already -_- i hate fireworks.

WIP: A+
  9. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

10. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I'm having mates over to drink some british brews and watch the documentary from the future that is 'V for Vendetta'

should be a fun evening, might even take old Glory down and put the Jack up outside ;)
    wait, that might get me shot! this is Idaho dontcha know?

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  11. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Ah i remember one YEARS ago, was great fun.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP