relocation question

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by greenbrucelee, Mar 18, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Could you relocate 112 miles to another city, rent a flat, get paid 14k before tax with no financial backing?

The reason I ask this is because I was phoned up today by a person from a HR department of a company just to ask me what I was looking for on the job front and salary wise, she also wanted to know what I would do if offered a job with her company, she also wanted to know what salary I was on now.

It was quite a suprise so I said I am willing to take a pay cut be could definetely not afford the 14k they would offer me to start of with as I had no financial savings of any kind.

I explained my situation to her and she was still interested and said for me to ring back in the summer if I can get some savings behind me and there might still be a position open for me.

Could you do it?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I don't know what the cost of living is there... but I can do anything I set my mind to do. It might be difficult... but I would do whatever I had to do to make it happen.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

My First IT job paid £13k a year. You can live on that kind of money, you just have to tighten the belt a little. Getting that all important first IT job is the hardest of all with limited hands on experience. I moved on nearly 12 months ago, now earning a much better wage. All the studying has/is paying off. Could I move to a new city? Yep, I did about 12 months before I decided to get into IT, went to find a career, and did. I guess it all depends on the type of person you are, and how hard or easily you can leave friends and family and see them once every few weeks. Are there many opportunities for work where you live right now? If not you may be waiting a while, if you move and don’t like it you can always come back, but if you don’t try...

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  4. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I'm the same as BM on this - put your mind to something and anything is possible.
    If you can pay the rent, utilities, food and have a little left over in your pocket then the simple answer is yes - those truly are the only restrictions on us - not seeing friends, playing football, drinking beer, these are all extras and I think we all forget about these things when it comes to making a pay-cut.

You want to get into IT, I say go for it - I'd feel a little more comfortable with a couple of months worth of savings for the rent/bills/food etc. just in case the worse happens - but then I moved 80 miles to the big city with 6 weeks worth of savings, and I'm still here nearly 18 months on.

Go on, GBL, you know you can do it. Remember, virtually all of the time, the only limitations we have are those which we impose on ourselves.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  5. greenbrucelee

See I would like to get a little money behind me maybe if I can save for a couple of months, then at least I will have some money for the bills.

I would love to move into a job and as there isn't anything where I am it going to have to be a move but I think it would be foolish to move to a new area without any money behind me even if its only a £600 or so.

6. NightWalker

Get a credit card, dont use it unless you have to. Pay it off when you are earning a better wage. I am paying back mine now. I dont know where I would be now if I didnt do things that way around, maybe better off maybe worse. Saving takes time, depends when the company you were talking to want someone to start work.

7. greenbrucelee

due to my credit rating I can't get a credit card, I applied for one of the capital one credit builder cards 2 weeks ago but havent heard anything back so thats looking doubtful.

8. NightWalker

Fair enough. I understand you wanting to get some cash saved in that case, but don’t pass up a job offer because of it. Things always come good in the end, if they offer you the job tomorrow and it’s the job you want, you could make it work. You might have to eat a lot of Tesco value beans…
    Ask if there is any opportunity for overtime once your settled, IT always has work that needs to be done out of office hours when you can utilise all the network bandwidth or take servers offline for upgrades and maintenance. A bit of OT, one or two Saturdays a month can make all the difference in your wallet.

9. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Don't despair until at least a month has gone by. At least you haven't had an instant rejection!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  10. greenbrucelee

I did say to her if I was to get the job then I would work any hours they wanted me to and I would do extra if required.

I am hoping I'll get it so it could provide a saftey margin for me if I was to move.

11. greenbrucelee

I am thinking what I should do is after I do my A+ exams on the 31st is that I will study for my N+ non stop whilst saving some cash take the N+ then apply like mad for jobs so I will have a couple of certs and some cash for the inevitable move.

12. BosonMichael

I lived in my own 715 sq. ft. apartment making $8/hr. Just saying that it can be done, if you want it bad enough. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  13. greenbrucelee

you wouldn't get a 715 sp. ft apartment in the UK for a wage less than £300 a week, the prices must be vastly different in the US.

When I lived in Leeds 8 years ago you could get a 8 by 8 one room apartment for £180 a month and that was then prices have gone up since then a lot.

14. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

Rule of thumb here is to not spend more than 1/4 of your income on housing. That's only going to amount to about £290 a month there. Could get tough at those wages.

15. greenbrucelee

Yeah I know. I am going to stick my original idea, I don't want to get out of debt then back in it again, I also want something behind me even if its only a small amount. So whilst studying for my N+ and either MCP or MCDST I will save then I can decide on what to do.

16. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

That's the right attitude. I think you've got it pretty well figured out, maybe you wanted some reassurance. Don't worry, something will turn up along the way. Just make sure that you're focused and ready for it when it does, then grab it and run with it.

17. NightWalker

Agreed, sound words.

18. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

What he said.

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  19. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

You could always try and get a second job (doesnt have to be it related), weekend work or evening work, may not be the best solution, but worth a thought.

WIP: LIFE
  20. BosonMichael

You also wouldn't be stuck making £4/hr in the UK, either. The point is, you can do anything you set your mind to if you want it bad enough. :)